Chapter 3

The next morning I woke up to the smell of eggs and sausage, something I woke up to once a year. This, however, was strange. The only time the Royal vampires ever acquainted us with goods was on the Prince's birthday, which had already past 6 months back.

Laughter sounded from downstairs, making me sit up in curiosity. Candice's side of the futon was empty, her blanket thrown off on to the floor in a heap. Eager to know what was going on downstairs and join the laughter, I got up, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes as I walked downstairs.

"Heather! You're awake!" Candice squealed excitedly when I entered the kitchen.

"Hurry dear, would you like a fried egg? Scrambled? An Omelet? Boiled? Sausages? Turkey bacon? Choose your choice now before I get out of my cooking mood." Mom asked, almost jumping up and down at the stove in happiness.

"Yes Heather, choose fast or I'll have to choose my third plate of food!" Dad exclaimed, rubbing his rounding belly proudly.

"Anthony! You will not!" Mom threw her hands up in exclamation, "You'll end up finishing all the good the Royals so graciously gifted us!"

"Yeah daddy, your belly's already growing two sizes, considering you've eaten two eggs and six sausages and three strips of turkey bacon and cereal for dessert!" Candice squealed teasingly, watching moms eyes go wide.

"Anthony!" She yelled in shock

"Hon, I'm sorry, I was just.."

"What hungry? You've got to watch your diet, remember what the doctor said? An apple a day—"
"Yah keeps diabetes away, yada yada," dad sighed and rolled his eyes, standing up to take his plate to the sink.

"No, that's not—"

"A fried egg and two sausages." I aid loudly, clearing my voice.

"No that's not it either, do any of you ever listen to what I say?" Mom said exasperated, throwing her hands in the air.

"That's just me answering you're question. I want a fried egg and two sausages." I sighed, too tired for their dumb bickering.

Heather took her seat next to Candice, biding her a good morning, to which she replied happily.

"Alright Sage, we better get going, or we'll be late for work." Dad said after mom rolled my sausages and slapped my egg on my plate.

"Of course, Go in the car I'll be right there." Mom sighed as she took off her worn apron, rubbing a hand over her face, suddenly looking older.

"You two finish breakfast, and then it's off to school, understand?" Mom said seriously as she grabbed a small purse from the table.

"Yes ma'am" Candice sighed with a roll of her eyes.

School; a Synonym for hell

I looked over at Candice, her face crestfallen as she picked at her food. My heart sank. her school was a literal horror movie for her. The vampire rich kids bullied her relentlessly. Not just because she was human, they did it because they said a human's child should be this pretty. So they beat her up to form bruises on her body, to decrease her self-esteem, to make her feel like scum.

My heart ached for my sister, who walked with her head down when she entered Blue Creek Elementary after we had finished breakfast and clearing up. She covered her face with her hair so she could hide from the children of vampires, who were all double her small size.