38 | Adhtees

A/N - TWO MORE CHAPTERS TO GO! 

Updating the next chapter after this one hits 80 votes! Thank you for all the support xx

38 | Adhtees

The change of air was a reward for the pain both Lekh and Tara had endured.

The fresh breeze tickled them as they strode on the beach. They were in Goa, a very typical destination for couples you were looking to getaway. It was day two and either of them couldn't be grateful enough for this break.

In the two days that they were alone, Lekh and Tara had talked. They had gotten to know each, spoken about themselves and what they felt of different things, issues and people. It was like a date, only after marriage.

In getting to know each other, Lekh had realised that Tara was insecure about her independency, or lack it perhaps.

"I want to be on my own feet." She said when Lekh asked her about what she felt about working, "But I haven't really studied. I don't have a proper college degree." Her cheeks turned into a light crimson as she spoke, the embarrassment of a lack of education was pretty evident. Plus, in front of Lekh, her shame amplified, who was a well-educated man from a foreign university.

The truth was, Tara had had similar feelings with Kartavya too. Being an Army officer, he was a sensible and knowledgeable person. Individualistically too, Kartavya was always reading, catching up with current events and always carrying a thirst to know more about the world. Tara loved both men deeply and she knew her feelings were reciprocated, but she felt like she was no match for them.

Incompetency was a crazy stalker, it lingered on in forms of doubt, uncertainty, cowardice and every other feeling that made you feel like you were not enough.

Tara looked everywhere but at Lekh, unable to meet his eye.

"Why don't you go back to college?"

Tara looked at Lekh in shock, her eyes widened and she stopped walking, "What?"

"Go back to college."

Tara stared at him, lost on words. For a moment, she thought he had turned crazy.

"You're mad." She said, giving voice to her thoughts.

Lekh laughed, he pulled Tara to walk again. "I am serious," and he voice, his voice was nothing but sincere, "If all goes as planned, we'll be shifting out of the house and then you are free to do what you want."

Tara bit her lips nervously, he was right. They would shift out, Lekh had made a foolproof plan on the day of their engagement. After getting their own place in another city, they would have a new life and she could do whatever she wanted. Suddenly, the idea of her going back to college didn't feel as crazy as it sounded a few seconds ago.

But, there was always a but. "What about the baby?" she questioned.

"The baby isn't due for the next several months. You can do online courses if you want, I can teach you how to go about it, we can take help from counsellors even. This world has all the resources in the world for everything Tara, you just need to decide what you want to do first. Besides, my parents have a lot of money, for once it would be nice to spend it on something productive."

Tara laughed uncertainly and nodded. Lekh smiled at her and wrapped his arms around her waist.

"Everything is falling in place." He exhaled, "We are going to be fine."

"Yes. Yes, we are."

Tara looked at how happy Lekh was and it warmed her heart but she couldn't let herself immerse in the happiness altogether. Indira still existed, they still had unresolved problems, Ranjan was still controlling and Tara was still pregnant with Kartavya's baby.

And the biggest problem was that while Lekh worked in his father's business, he still didn't have a penny to his name. It bugged Tara, it wasn't just her who wasn't independent, Lekh was entirely dependent on his parents too. It worried her, they were both obliged to do what Ranjan and Indira expected them to do. They weren't allowed to make choices for themselves which against the wishes of the parents.

In the truest sense, neither of them were really free and things really weren't falling in place. Tara peeked another glance at Lekh as he looked at the waves, his face was composed and he felt free. It was a form of him she had never seen back home. His muscles were relaxed here, he smiled more often and he carried himself coolly. He was not that person back home. Tara knew even though he loved her and she managed to bring some happiness to him, even she didn't bring out this level of tranquillity in him.

And so it was important for them to get out of the Rajput house. Not just for her and the baby but also for Lekh. Because Tara knew, Lekh wouldn't survive in a home that haunted him every second of his life.

Tara prayed for his plan to work. Tara prayed for his happiness.