06 | Chae

06 | Chae

A new start demands drama, and drama it was going to get.

"We are ready to get married." Lekh said, as he stood beside Tara in front of a very wickedly happy Indira.

Their ride from the hospital to their house had felt short. It involved planning numerous strategies and plotting various schemes. Maybe the two lost souls had realised this union could help them find their solace. Maybe they just had to change how they thought and take this arrangement to their advantage. Maybe, they realised they could fool Indira in her own game.

Indira smiled ear to ear. Finally.

Lekh watched his mother stand up and embrace an unwilling Tara.

"You both must have finally realised this is good for both of you. If Tara kept Kartavya happy, she can keep you happy too, Lekh." She said smugly. She had perfected the art of expressions, her words were something, her expressions something else altogether. She was dangerous, to put it simply.

Lekh smirked, "Of course." Just as she's going to keep you happy.

"Well, we have to announce it, don't we." Indira said rubbing her hands excitedly, "I'll go and make the arrangements for it." Deserves a party, doesn't it.

Lekh gave way to his mother to go, the old woman was going more mental day by day. He looked at Tara who stood there nervously, there should have been a class in school that specifically taught how boys were supposed to deal with different women. On one hand there was his mother, she was like fire who could burn hearts and souls to ashes. And then there was Tara, like air who might turn into a storm or a soothing wind. But then she was also the air he was supposed to get used to; she was the air he was going to breathe, for a long-long time.

"Don't get nervous around her." Lekh told Tara after Indira had left.

"I am not." She replied, stubbornly.

"Right."

Tara frowned and started leaving the room. "Just be careful, we can't afford to ruin anything." He said sharply.

Tara would have been offended by his tone but he was right, they couldn't afford to ruin anything. They had finally realised that they could take an advantage of this whole situation and she couldn't spoil it for her ego. She nodded and left.

Lekh himself headed to his office and sank in his chair. Life was bloody exhausting and he couldn't rest. There was a lot he had to do, too many preparations to make.

..............................................

Lekh strolled down the stairs tiredly. He had been up all night working, business was hard. It was early morning and one of his mother's help had informed him that Indira had requested everyone's presence on the breakfast table today, ergo she required Lekh's presence. Everyone dined together on table at the same time in this family, expect Lekh. He had his breakfast and lunch and dinner in his room or office.

Lekh had decided he never belonged in this family when Indira had showed him his life didn't belong to him. His steps halted midway on the stairs. He saw everyone sitting on their chairs at the dining table, everyone looked morbid. Lekh wondered why they even bothered to eat together, they probably even made the food taste depressing.

His sister's eyes suddenly fell on him, "Lekh Bhai, come fast. I am starving and mother here won't let us eat without you."

Wow, very nice of you mom; where did the sun rise from today.