Prologue: When the Lion First Locked Eyes With the Gazelle

Start from the beginning

I huffed as I shook my head in discontent. The Fraitville case was going as well as it could. I knew when I took it that it would be an uphill battle and it had been draining both Brook and I for the past two months but it wasn't sinking. I just didn't  believe that was the reason why I was being called in to have a meeting with Mr.Hooks himself.

"It's as fine as it was when we left Tuesday night. I was in court all day yesterday so I didn't touch it, but I refuse to think that is why I'm being called for a meeting. But whatever. Let me go get situated so I can head up," I dejected as I walked into my office.

I set my things down and started up my computer and went through all my basic emails and other minuscule things to kill time. About 15 minutes before I had to be upstairs I went to my restroom and made sure I looked okay. The white blouse I wore was tucked neatly into the pants of my peach colored suit. My hair was laid down straight to kill and my no-makeup makeup was indeed flawless. I touched up my lipstick before blowing myself a kiss in the mirror. Damn Kashera girl, you are so fine. I thought to myself with a smile.

Everyday, every chance that I could I reminded myself of just how beautiful I was outside and in. I had to because the way this society was set up not too many people would. I was a bigger girl with curves and a tummy, all of which I've come to love immensely over the years. My body was strong and housed within it was a strong heart and even mightier soul. People who would even attempt to look down upon me wouldn't hold so much as a matchstick to either. My beauty wasn't defined by a number on a scale or the size of my clothes, that was only a temporary factor that would wither away before my soul ever would. I let out a content sigh as I walked out of the room, grabbed my IPAD, wallet, and phone, and headed upstairs.

"Ms. Daniels, ah! How are you this fine Thursday?" Mr. Hooks elated to see me as he stood up from behind his desk. I graced the older man with a smile as I stretched out my hand to shake his. His face was all smiles and wrinkles and his chubby cheeks and equally chubby body held no signs of anything being wrong. With that note I took a breath and relaxed into the chair.

"I'm doing fine today. I hope you are as well."

"Well yes I am. To cut to the chase, I'm taking the Fraitville case from you and giving it to someone else as you will be taking on an even bigger client that I believe you to be much more capable of handling than anyone else," he said with a sure sense of security in his choice.

I felt the breath leave my body in relief, but also in confusion. Brook and I had worked hard on that case so far. On top of that, if this is all it was, the reasoning behind this meeting is absolutely beyond me. He could've sent it in an email or had his PA deliver me the news like usual. I guess he sensed the confusion in my silence as he leaned on the desk with a firmer look on his face.

"I know this is quite unusual, but this client is unlike who you are used to dealing with. What is being asked of you is incredulously demanding Ms.Daniels- of that I won't lie to you. However, in seeing your track record and knowing how dedicated and independent you are, I knew I could trust you to handle this case better than anyone. You are fair in your assessments, professional in all your endeavors, and you deliver the results. I don't want there to be any panic, but the client I'm assigning you is- "

"Mr. Hooks, he's here," his PA walked in and announced. Her eyes were brooding, and her posture was stiffer than her tone and it caused me to worry more than I already was. I tried my best, however, not to show it.

"Send him in then," He said before taking a breath and turning his attention to me, "I know I'm placing you in quite a predicament where now you're meeting him before you've even agreed, but know that if you don't want to do it I will not take it personally. I just believed you to be the best choice therefore my first," he explained with a soft carefulness. Before I could respond the door swung open and two men in black suits walked in and the energy in the room began to drastically shift.