you are you | part two | dustin henderson

"so, you told him that . . . we are a thing?" he motioned between the two of you with his spoon before dunking more ice cream into his mouth.

you turned an even darker shade of red, "yes, steve. i've said it a bunch of times! how is it so hard to understand?" you buried your face into the palms of your hands. you were sitting across from steve in starcourt mall telling him everything that had happened earlier that day.

"it's not. i just love seeing you get all embarrassed. it's hilarious!" he nearly choked on his ice cream from laughing.

you looked up to glare at him. you took his spoon, which he frowned to, and ate his ice cream. "it's not funny, steve! i don't know why i lied."

he grabbed his spoon and proceeded to eat the banana split. he also gave you some which you happily ate. "you know, i think i've heard about what drives people to do crazy things like that stunt you pulled," he brought his spoon to his lip as if in deep thought. "oh right, jealousy! you were jealous, y/n."

you couldn't even argue with him. he was right and you knew it. "i'm gonna look like such an idiot, steve. he's going to make fun of me for it once he finds out," you sighed.

"what if he doesn't?" steve replied while biting into a cherry. he left the stem on the table.

you furrowed your eyebrows. you weren't sure what it is he meant. "what?"

"like, what if we don't tell him? say, we keep this up . . ."

"woah woah," you shook your hands to stop him, "keep what up?"

"let me talk, woman!" he pointed his spoon at you. you became quiet, so he continued. "we pretend date, duh! we let dustin believe this is real and he will figure out how he feels about you. and then boom, you've got your real man!"

you looked at him suspiciously, "what's in it for you?"

he shrugged, "honestly, y/n. nothing exciting has been happening in my life— i know, crazy right? wait, don't tell anyone i told you that, please! especially not robin, she will not let it rest, ever."

"you're trying to make robin jealous!" you exclaimed a little too loudly. you didn't truly believe it, but you wanted to find an excuse that may benefit him so that it wasn't just a pity gesture.

"shut up! wait, what? no way! she's—" his eyes widened as he stopped abruptly. he shoved more ice cream into his mouth.

you decided not to press him about what he was going to say which he seemed grateful for.

"honestly, i just want to help you. i care for you, y/n. you're right, we did get closer throughout this summer, but don't go getting any ideas," he winked at you.

you rolled your eyes, "as if."

he mocked being offended which caused the both of you to laugh.

"so, you'll really do it?" you looked at steve who finally finished the banana split. he wiped his mouth with the back of his hand and nodded his head.

"yes, let's do it."

suddenly, he jumped out of his side of the booth and came around to your side. you turned to look at him. steve threw himself on one knee.

"steve!" you could feel your cheeks heating up already. "steve, get up. please," you whisper yelled. you looked around frantically. thankfully, no one seemed to pay attention to the crazy teenager on his knee. you tried to pull steve on his feet, but he didn't budge.

"y/n y/m/n y/l/n, will you do me the honor of becoming my fake girlfriend on this wonderful evening?"

oh god.

"steve, please."

he looked at you, but didn't move. he was still on his knee expecting an answer. there was a goofy smile on his lips.

"yes, yes! get up you idiot," you couldn't help but smile as well.

"wonderful! let the fake dating begin!"