The Best Friend | Jonathan

~*part two*~

As he walked away Jonathan felt horrible. Should he have not walked away? He was unsure as to what his response was supposed to be, but your last words to him hurt. Why on earth would you think he'd find anyone as amazing as you? He sighed and kicked pebbles on his way to Nancy's house.

He felt even more terrible knowing that he was still going to her house despite longing to run back to you.

"'See you around, Byers', hmph" he mimicked. What did you mean? He arrived to Nancy's house, knocked, and waited for the door to open.

-

"Did I just end my friendship with Jonathan?" You asked yourself. You listened to "Should I Stay or Should I Go" which is Jonathan's favorite song. He listened to it a lot with his little brother Will when his parents would argue or just when times got hard. It was difficult seeing him cry to this song when anything happened and it was especially hard when Will was missing/presumed dead.

Now, you listened to this song and paid close attention to the lyrics. You weren't sure what you should do. Should I stay or should I go? You felt crazy. You were being extremely jealous and have jeopardized your friendship because of it.

Were you really WILLing to lose your friendship for this? Jonathan is interested in someone and has  found happiness. Who are you to stop him from it? You saw this coming. One day you weren't going to be his world. You'd both find people, even if it's not the people you feel destined to be with, and you should still keep your beloved friendship.

Maybe if you came clean about your feelings then it would all go away. If he told you that he doesn't feel the same way then you wouldn't feel like there's an opportunity of something more and then it'd all vanish. The love you feel for Jonathan Byers would remain as a friendship love.

You made up your mind and decided it was time to come clean. It took you about 30 minutes to think about everything. You couldn't let teenage hormones come in between your friendship with him. You've known him since you were kids. You've been friends since then and you'll be friends until the very end.

You ran outside your house and towards the Wheelers'. You expected to feel okay with everything. You expected to be okay with Jonathan and his crush on Nancy, but when you saw him hug her the way he hugs you and lean in for a kiss, you couldn't help but turn back around and run.

"(Y/n)?" You heard behind you. You didn't understand feelings. You didn't feel anything for Jonathan until he started feeling things for Nancy. You were never jealous and possessive, but now it's like your teenage years are trying to change you into some feelings monster.

"(Y/n)!" Jonathan stopped you from running. You wiped the tears away quickly, and turned towards him.

"What's gotten into you?" He asked. You just looked away but didn't utter a single word.

"Why are you like this (y/n) (y/l/n)? You're acting like a child." He said.

"Really? I'm trying to do the mature thing, but of course I had to find you all over Nancy!" You tried to remain calm, but that came out for like a yell than a simple statement.

"What do you even mean, lady!?"

"What do I mean? I'm over here," you point to the direction of your house, "crying because I'm thinking I've just lost my best friend. Then, I decide I should come and tell you about how I feel for you and then it'd possibly all go away, but no it's not going to go away! You know why? Because I LOVE YOU, JONATHAN BYERS. I love you and seeing you with her will hurt me. I now know there's no getting over you! You're just so you" You were breathing heavily, but you've finally gotten it off your chest, "and you are perfectly imperfect" you whispered.

He seemed surprised by everything that you've said. You were hoping for him to say something, but it appeared that he'd been at a loss for words. After a couple more minutes of awkward silence he finally spoke up.

"I love you too, (y/n)."

Your heart leapt and was filled with warmth.
"I-I have waited so long to hear those words...so, so long, but I owe it to you to be honest. I love you, I do. I have from the very moment I've met you, but I cannot deny that I don't feel anything for Nancy as well. I can't hurt you, not like this. You'll have to forgive me, but we cannot go anywhere with this as of now."

He was being kind. He was being considerate, yet your heart was shattered. You backed away slowly.

"(Y/n)," he reached out for you, but you just stared at him.

"I'll be fine, Jonathan Byers." You smiled, "I'll see you at school."

"I'll see you," he muttered.