Scene 4 - Launch

Fireball XL5 is lined up on the track. Sirens begin sounding. The crew are inside. Steve and Robert man the controls once again, with Commander Zero standing behind Zodiac. The others are somewhere else back in the ship, and Fireball is ready to launch.

Colonel Zodiac:

Ready to launch, Commander.

Commander Zero:

Ok, Steve. Take her up.

Robert:

TTAAKKINNNGG – HHEERRR – UUUPPPP!

Fireball blasts its engine as it taxis along the track, gaining speed rapidly, blowing more of its motors and firing even more powerful rockets to boost momentum. Eventually, reaching towards the end of the track, she zooms up into the air, rocketing into the sky flying into space. Within the next few seconds, the sky begins turning black as stars light up. They have now entered space.

Colonel Zodiac:

Leaving Earth's atmosphere now. Well, it will still be another seven hours until we reach the destination of the wormhole.

Commander Zero:

Yeah, Steve. Pass me through back to Space City.

Colonel Zodiac:

Fireball XL5 to Space City.

Lieutenant Ninety is in the control tower, left on his own at his desk.

Lieutenant Ninety:

Go ahead, XL5.

Commander Zero:

This is Commander Zero speaking. Communications boosted to maximum, Lieutenant?

Lieutenant Ninety:

Yes, Commander. Will I be hearing from you until you reach the wormhole?

Commander Zero:

No, Lieutenant. We'll see you then.

Lieutenant Ninety:

Ok, XL5. See you in seven hours. Communication department to Space City control, make sure all radio communications are boosted to maximum.

Technician:

Roger, control. Boosted to maximum. Hearing you loud and clear.

The radio turns off.

Lieutenant Ninety:

Well, looks like it will just be me for the next seven hours. Depending on when they can get the maintenance guys over to fix the radar equipment.

From Fireball's distance, Earth is just a dot.

Colonel Zodiac:

Maximum speed now, Commander.

Commander Zero:

Excellent. Come into the lounge, Steve. I want to talk to all of you about the mission in there.

Colonel Zodiac:

Ok. Keep present position, Robert.

Robert:

KKEEEEEPPP – PPREESSSEENNTT – PPOOOSSIITTIOOONN!

Matt and Dr. Venus are relaxing in the lounge when the Colonel and Commander appear.

Dr. Venus:

Commander.

Commander Zero:

It's alright you two, don't get up. I want to talk to you three about this assignment. As three of our ships have been sucked in by this mighty powerful force, we can hardly know what to expect when we first encounter it.

Professor Matic:

It's been quite a while since you've been out on a major assignment like this, haven't you, Commander.

Steve and Zero sit down.

Commander Zero:

It has, Matthew. Now, what I am about to tell you might possibly be the most dangerous and inexplicable mission you three have ever been on. We don't know how this wormhole is being generated, where it is being generated, who is generating it, and most importantly, where it leads to. With three ships being pulled into it and all suffering communication blackouts for hours, it seems that we can hardly know what to expect. Which is why I wish you three to take no chances with this one, and...

There is a snoring sound. A horrible, dribbling, sniffing sound.

What in? Err! What is that smell!

BUURRPPP! The ugly head of Zoonie pops out from behind the sofa, with a huge grin on its face.

Zoonie:

HOWDY, FOLKS!

Commander Zero:

Zoonie! I should have known. What is that thing doing aboard this ship, Venus!

Dr. Venus:

Oh, I'm sorry Commander. But I didn't want to leave him on his own. You know how sad and lonely he gets.

Commander Zero:

For goodness sake, Venus, he is a Lazoon! An ugly, daft little rat from a dead planet!

Colonel Zodiac:

Calm down, Commander.

Commander Zero:

We shall continue this meeting inside Fireball Junior. He can stay as long as he doesn't get in my sight anymore, or cause me any more trouble!