Chapter 26: Cool it

Two Sided Mirror

Chapter 26

Cool it

They had arrived at Spencers not to long after. Archie was there with Midnight having gotten picked up by her. Technically thinking it was because she thought Archie was Dareth while he was still at Glasses.

They both lay against the wall a power outlet between them. Both plugged in and 'sleeping' soundly. Dane looked into a room with Danny and Inky sleeping. Inky was sleeping with her head on Danny's chest and a line of drool wetting Danny's shirt. The wounds she got from the collapsing building were bandaged and stitched. The bandages around her wrists needed changing. It was just left overs from his sleeve. He ran his fingers along his exposed arm. He sighed that actually looked so perfect to him. Danny sleeping with a child in her arms. Oh the idea seemed perfect to Dareth.

'Hey don't go jumping the gun. You two have been going out for what...three days?' He laughed in Danes head. A slight blush came to Danny's cheeks as she turned over and tried to hide her face. Inky sat up looking around as if she had heard thunder or something. She lay back down in a poof of fluffy cloth.

"Dareth..." Danny complained loudly. She had felt the intention. Dane chuckled and sat down on the edge of the bed.

"Just wishful thinking." He said. Danny rolled back over looking up at Dane.

He had started off this journey with someone that scared him to death, but here they were connected and he could feel just how gentle she really was. How lonely she used to be, and how much love she wanted to feel.

"Hey...come take a walk with me?" He asked holding out his hand. "We can get some breakfast." He offered.

The crane that stood above the wharf that they were in the day before already stood there to rebuild what had been destroyed. But for them they sat at a small table overlooking the bay. Some sandwiches and coffee sat in front of them. It was a nice place that Danny frequented alone. The owner who had always seen her alone was thrilled to see her with someone for once. At least a friend anyways.

"Did you mean it?" Dane asked looking out over the water. "About being friends." Danny made a soft tick noise as she wagged her finger.

"Best...friend." She winked at him and took a bite of her sandwich. Dane chuckled looking down at his. Sometimes he forgot to eat in this body. He didn't have to, but for some reason today was one of those days he did. Perhaps it was the energy he expelled after firing his gun?" He took a bite and smiled, he loved the roast chicken on it, it had a great flavor and they made it all there too.

"So I'm thinking of opening a small clinic and get away from Borg tower. What do you think?" She asked.

"Borg would be sad."

"Borg will be just fine. She's got her boys to take care of and her wife is amazingly a great cook." She waved her hands to the huge restaurant across the way. "Been there once for a meeting and the food was great, just pricey." She said with a flinch. "Besides why go someplace like that when you have a place like this." She winked at the owner who brought out more coffee.

"I'm so glad you agree." He said putting some more cream down before leaving. He was an elderly kind man.

Dane could feel how content Danny was now. Being as quiet and incredibly alone feeling before. This felt nice. Her fingers encircled his as she pointed across the bay. Ducklings waddled behind their mother as they made their way back from the water.

Upon opening the door once again to Spencer's house Midnight was chasing a naked Inky around the house.

"Come on Inky time to take a bath!" Her hair was cut short now. You could see the rainbow along the buzz cut.

"Inky!" Danny called. Inky turned and looked up at Danny. Danny gasped and looked at Dane whose mouth was equally as open as hers.

"She's a he...?" Dane whispered.

"Well yeah, no one ever told you he was a girl. Everyone just assumed that Nina meant he was a girl. Nina was the project name. Inky is his name."

"Why didn't you tell us?" Danny asked looking up at her mom who was trying not to laugh.

"Because...it's just that hilarious." She burst out laughing. Danny sighed pushing her toward Archie.

"Then perhaps you should?" She said. Archie chuckled scooping the naked boy up from the floor.

"Come on...into the bath. Little boys shouldn't be wandering around naked in front of the ladies anyways."

Danny walked out into the back yard. She stood watching the sun go down. Dane watched her as she did. His eyes grew wide as he saw Danny's hair change from yellow to purple and it would seem there was a shadow of a set of wings on her back.

'You don't suppose her dad was...an elemental master...do you?' Dareth asked.

'Her dad was horrible.' Zane mumbled. 'So who knows. All I know is he gave Danny a necklace once and she ate it. He panicked at first, and that was it...he said it was a meteor and that's all he'd say.'

"So she's...just like us." Dane said.

'No...she's extraordinary.' Dareth whispered.

Dane walked over and put his hand on Danny's back. She smiled at him.

"Looks weird doesn't it?" She asked.

"Nah...it looks beau..." the ground seemed to open out from under there legs and they fell through a rift. Into another realm.

[Continues in the last chapter of Kino AU]