Chapter 23: For Everyone

Authors Notes: I have a rough draft for a cover. I think...I donno.

Please read and review

Two Sided Mirror

Chapter 23

For everyone

Time was on the clock and it was ticking. Dane had to do something, he couldn't just choose one over the other. That went against his programming. The girl or Dareths girlfriend, Zane's sister. What did that make her to Dane? Such a strange question right now.

"You're my friend...my best friend." The words popped into his head. He closed his eyes feeling Danny's words float through his head.

"That's something I've never had...a best friend. Friends yeah sure, but they were nothing more then just people that came and went like seasons. No you Dane...we're connected now. Something that will never go away I'm told. So think Dane...think. You are two people. You can all save us. Zane save our sister. Dareth...save me?" The last part was as if she were a child asking for something new. Something they've never have.

"We're coming Danny baby." Dane said. Splitting into two halves.

Zane ran through the maze trusting Dareth to save his sister. He had ran this maze a lot as a boy with his sister, but it was his sister who always guided him. He was terrible with directions. His eyes waved around the mirrors his hands gliding along the right side. The lights began to blink on and off giving off black light illusions along the walls. Something sailed over Zanes shoulder and smashed through the mirrors on the side and right through a wall.

"What the hell!" He yelled looking back seeing the glowing light of a wick. The cannon. The one the amusement park found in the sand as they were building on the wharf. The one they swore didn't work anymore.

Zane had to act fast as he launched himself forward at the cannon. Pushing himself sideways as the wick ran thin and another cannon ball sailed through the air and lodged itself in a support beam.

"Oh look at you...all pretty in that nice white Gi." He knew that voice. It was a lot like his only a few octaves lower.

"Echo?"

"You do realize why mom named me that right? Because I was your copy...a clone. I'm...a clone brother." He shot another cannonball blindly through the floorboards.

"Echo...I don't care that you're my clone."

"No one cares!" Echo ran forward throwing a kick into Zanes chest smashing him into the support beam. What was he doing?

"I don't care Echo...I don't...I love you...nothing would change that. You're my brother. Let's work this out." He tried to reach out for Echo, but he stepped back. His face a deep scowl.

"You...are just trying to get to me so you can get to that ink monster." He growled and ran forward kicking up at Zane. Zane gasped as Echo hit the support beam which broke in two falling onto Echo, and fell right through the floor into the water below.

Zane felt his heart break in two as he watched his brother disappear into the waves below. He jumped up again hearing Inky's fearful cries as the whole building began to sway. That was a support beam. Not a main one, but who knows what it could have done.

"I'm coming Inky! Hang on!" He yelled running into another room seeing the little girl who had pushed herself against the back wall and was hugging her legs rocking back and forth. He reached out running a single finger along her arm. She jumped and screamed trying to push him away. She didn't know who he was. She had only seen him once. He'd probably hurt her...right?

"Hey...I'm Zane. I'm your big brother...it's alright." He gathered her into his arms. She was still iffy about him, but his place felt like it was about to fall apart and she didn't to much like the look of herself all over the place so she decided it was the best bet as Zane opened the exit door close to there right. Outside he sat on a bench and waited.

"Hungry?" He held out a candy bar for her. She gasped and gobbled it right down. It was the most she had to eat in days.