Declassified Part 34 The Past and the Future

Start from the beginning

      Dan suddenly looked like he was going to cry. "I'm sorry." He said again. "I wish I could take it back." He reached one hand out towards her wrist, stopping before touching it. "And sorry I grabbed your arm. I shouldn't have—I shouldn't have put my hands on you, even if I thought you were going to hurt Alex."

      Thalia absently put one hand on her wrist, her hair falling in her face. "If I had family I'm sure I would have had Alex meet them by now." She said quietly.
      "You don't have any family?" Dan asked, looking concerned.

      Thalia didn't say anything for a moment, looking at Thor sleeping across the room. Finally she shook her head, pulling her knees up to her chest. "No. I never knew my dad, and my mom died when I was five." She frowned as she wrapped her arms around her legs.
      "That's horrible." Dan said quietly.

      Thalia shrugged as if it didn't still hurt, because she knew she wasn't strong enough to face those emotions. Especially not in front of Dan. "She wasn't a great mom."
      "She wasn't?" Dan asked, looking chagrined.

      Thalia shrugged again, not particularly wanting to talk about it. "She was young when she had me." She said finally, hoping he'd drop it.
      "And you had no brothers or sisters?" He asked.

      Thalia shook her head again, and then frowned. "No, I had some foster siblings, but it never lasted long. I usually went to a new foster home before I could get close to anyone."
      "That sounds awful." Dan said sincerely, frowning.

      Thalia shrugged noncommittally.
      "So, where did you consider home?" Dan asked, sounding like he still didn't get it.

      Thalia shook her head. "My home is the place you think has low ceilings." She smiled, hoping to change the subject.

      "Your place does have low ceilings." Dan said, clearly happy to move on to happier subjects.          "When you and Alex move in together you'll have to get a place with high ceilings."
Thalia felt her cheeks heat up. "If we move in together." She corrected him.

      "You'll move in together." Dan waved his hand dismissively. "And it'll break Andy's heart." He teased. "It'll be like letting his little sister move out."
      Thalia smiled. "He is kind of like my brother." She admitted, liking the idea.
      "Yeah, the resemblance is uncanny." Dan teased.

      Thalia looked thoughtful. "I imagine a big brother would tease me, though, like you do."
      Dan laughed, pretending to think about it. "I always imagined a little sister would be a lot like Andy."

      Thalia laughed and leaned her side against the back of the couch as she looked at him. "You should apologize to Andy, not me." She pointed out. "You always tease him and he never retaliates."

      Dan waved his hand dismissively. "He'll get over it. Besides, he punched me." He reminded her. "I'm still bruised."
      "I think that's called karma." She teased, smiling at him.

      He frowned. "But I am sorry, Thal." He said again. "I won't mention your family again. I said a lot of stupid things."
      Thalia shrugged as if it didn't matter.

      "I'm still going to tease you about your size, though, because that's just funny."
      Thalia made a face at him and then broke into a smile as Andy showed up in the doorway, looking sleepy and confused. "Hi Andy." She said cheerfully.

      "Hey." He said, rubbing his head. "What are you doing here, Dan?" He asked, staring daggers at his brother.
      Dan grinned. "Just talking to my little sister."

      Andy shook his head and sat on the couch beside Thalia.
      "I haven't made the coffee yet." Thalia said apologetically to Andy. "Dan, do you want one?" She asked as she headed to the kitchen.