Clouded Purity - Chapter 19

"I had no idea they'd even spoken during that time," Prism said, slipping away from Ghayle's hand to consider what he'd just witnessed. "No wonder they became such good friends."

"It must be interesting seeing them interact like that for the first time, without you serving as a medium," Ghayle said. "I remember the first time I introduced Tagren to Aika. They hated each other, but eventually became friends without my interference."

Prism nodded, still processing what Kaeral had said, and the feelings he'd received through living Grim's memories. "Grim was right, I would've worried if he told me what was going through his head. But I also would've helped him."

"You did help him, Prism. Time and time again."

"Kaeral's the one who put those violent thoughts in his head. Should I blame him then?" Prism asked, frowning.

"Blame?" Ghayle echoed. "Why are you looking for someone to blame?"

Prism's eyes darkened as he replied, "Someone made him into a killer, if not me, then someone else. Grim was the purest soul in the world when I met him."

"In your eyes, he was," Ghayle said. "Do you really believe that?" Prism tried to gauge the motive behind her accusatory question. She took his hand gently, cradling it as if it was an infant. "Prism, Grim was and is a good man, both by my understanding of good, and by your understanding of good. But do you really believe him perfect?"

"He should've never gone down that path. It was preventable," Prism said, pulling his hand away.

"No. It wasn't," Ghayle insisted, lowering her hands to her lap. "I'm not saying it was fate, but once faced with the decision, he made the only choice he could."

"Maybe . . ." Prism started angrily, but it faded along with his denial, "maybe you're right. But I would've given everything to prevent him from that."

"You didn't shed a single tear for the first man you killed," Ghayle observed. "Why is that?"

"It was a matter of duty. I had to rescue Veil, and I didn't spend time to think about it, I just acted."

"Did you mourn your own need to kill?"

"I'm not Grim, killing isn't an anathema for me," Prism said. "The Masters prepared me for it. They trained me to be able to kill when necessary. I didn't enjoy it, and I certainly wish it could have been prevented, but . . ." he trailed off, recognizing the cognitive dissonance of his own perspective.

"But when the time came, you acted the only way you could," Ghayle finished for him. Just like Grim had. Violent when necessary, when it suited the greater good. Prism stared at Ghayle with renewed respect, and she raised her hand toward him. "Are you ready to see the truth?"

"Show me."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Prism entered the Temple meeting hall with his head held high. Despite the stakes of this hearing, he would face it head-on, and answer the charges against him with dignity and honesty. Death could await him, and they'd officially remove him from Grim's service at least. Officially, but Prism would not leave Grim's side regardless of the sentencing, unless they executed him on the spot.

But he didn't anticipate that would happen. He'd come to know the Masters well during his tenure at the Temple, and didn't believe them to be so barbaric. He would be at the mercy of the court, but this court was as fair as any in Ultaka, and he believed in his chances.

People filled the room. Because of the nature of the charges against Prism, all available Masters were required to witness the proceedings. Some Masters currently serving at the Temple were still outside, tending to the refugees, but most had come inside and knelt along the walls. The available initiates, too, had come to witness the trial, and faced the council of five Senior Masters, leaving a wide gap for Prism to occupy. Their mentors had assigned their attendance, deeming this trial as an important instruction on the Ultakan legal system.