Clouded Purity: Chapter 12

Ghayle sensed her coming from a thousand miles away, each step the woman took brought additional strength to Ghayle. She felt the purity emanating from the woman, shining like a beacon through a sea of dark fog.

As the distance closed between them, Ghayle found herself growing more and more eager. Whoever this mortal was, she had a strength unparalleled among Ghayle's children. Faith propelled the woman forward, despite a corrupting sickness which had spread through her body.

In time, the woman reached the mountain itself, and began to climb. Only then did the others take note of her, though they did not sense her purity as Ghayle did. They simply tracked her, unaware of the role she would play.

"Tagren, there's a Gor climbing the mountain," Goden said as he reached the shelf. "At least, she smells like a Gor. Something seems off about her."

"What?" Tagren asked with alarm. "Why?"

"I don't know. I didn't stop to ask her," Goden replied dryly. "I just thought you should know.

"Is she alone?" Tagren asked.

Even as Goden nodded in response, Aika closed her eyes and reached out with her lifeforce to seek the woman. "Yes, and struggling," she confirmed. "She's very weak. I can sense it even from here."

"She's no concern of ours right now," Ibrix said. "Not unless she comes here."

"But it is rather curious, don't you think? What would a mortal be doing here? The Spring thaw has barely begun. She must be nearly frozen to death," Goden observed.

"She's ill. A wasting sickness of some sort," Aika said, opening her eyes at last. "I can't tell how extensive until I touch her, but I'm certain I could heal it."

"We can't afford to care about her unless she makes the climb," Tagren said. "Do you not remember we are sworn to secrecy? We'll have to determine what that means regarding an intruder. We may have to kill her to protect Ghayle and the ritual."

"That's a strange statement, coming from you," Goden observed. "Aren't you the one who is always trying to protect life?"

Tagren shook his head. "Not this time. This time, I am committed to the ritual, to Ghayle, and to Khalis' orders. No one may interfere with this. No one may know about this."

"But that doesn't mean we have to kill her," Quay said, joining the conversation at last. She stepped up to Tagren, her hands resting on her hips. "Your problem is that you never acquired the full godly perspective, Tagren. We know how to keep secrets while showing the truth. It's part of what we do. Khalis' instructions were clear, and it's you who is muddying them. The only thing Khalis said we could not reveal was Lord Naxthul's return. Seems to me we can simply omit that bit."

"For once Quay speaks wisdom," Nobak said. "Makes a lot of sense to me. You worry too much, Tagren."

Tagren sighed but trusted his companions' opinion on the matter. Yet he kept the dagger in his boot in his mind's eye. He would draw it if needed, and end the woman if instinct told him to do so.

Ghayle felt it all, wishing she could reach out to Tagren and console him, but she had not yet drawn enough strength from the woman to speak. Each step the woman took, however, brought Ghayle one step closer to escaping her nightmares, if only for a moment.

The Chosen waited, using the abilities afforded them as extensions of Ghayle's godhood to remain invisible from mortal sight. They stood to witness the young woman's arrival as she climbed past the last boulder, her frail form collapsing to the shelf in exhaustion and awe as she took in the sight of Ghayle splayed across the rock.