Clouded Purity - Chapter 13

"I can see why she had that effect on you. She was a remarkable woman. I'd not realized you were the one who put her into that sword," Prism said. "Kirra doesn't have the faintest clue what treasure he possesses."

"I promised to protect her children to the end. Unfortunately, their family has a tendency to die young," Ghayle said, sighing. "Despite my best efforts, their line is far too reckless."

"Reckless and pious blood mixed together. Zealots of their own natures," Prism said, chuckling at recent memories. "It's amazing how I can see Kirra's ancient ancestors in him now. Styx is a lucky man."

"It's interesting, isn't it?" Ghayle asked. "How people can still be considered lucky when demons walk the world. How love can still rule in the face of total destruction?"

"Yes. It's interesting, but not surprising," Prism replied. "There was always good in the world. There are always people worth saving, and people who can rise up and change things. Even against overwhelming odds."

Ghayle smiled. "Exactly."

Prism shook his head. "You and I speak of two different things. I'm saying the world could've been saved. You tried to destroy it."

"I had to, to remind the world of its greatness," Ghayle said.

"Had to . . ." Prism mused. "Because it's all a cycle? Because you're compelled by history?"

"No. Because history eventually repeats itself," Ghayle said, "if you wait long enough."

Prism smirked. "I never cared much for history."

Ghayle laughed, her eyes dancing as she reached back into Prism's memories. "That's not entirely true, is it?"

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Prism and Grim walked into Grim's rooms and collapsed on opposite ends of a short couch. Shirtless and sweaty, they kept only a foot of distance between them as they collected themselves after their long spar.

"That was a good session," Grim said between gasps for air. Sparring had relieved him in many ways, especially the last quarter, which Prism was quick to point out.

"Yes, you made it most of the way through our allotted time before you ran away to take care of your . . ." Prism glanced at Grim's crotch and grinned, "problem."

Grim grunted and stuck out his tongue at Prism before responding to the teasing. "Hey, just because you're able to resist so easily, you stonehearted bastard."

Prism laughed. "I like it when you get mean," he said, his voice low and sultry, "It's so un-Fedain."

Despite the flirtatious nature of the teasing, this remark hit home more than Grim liked, and he replied before he thought through his response, "Yeah, but my biology isn't. You know the reason I have a hard time is because you're essentially a drug to my system, right?"

Prism sighed and nodded. "Yes. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have teased you."

"I know," Grim said leaning his head back and letting out a long exhalation to vent his frustration. "We keep getting at each other, don't we?"

"It's probably just something we started in the hopes it would make it easier to resist," Prism said.

"Has it been working for you?" Grim asked, snickering at the unlikely thought.

"No. It's actually having the opposite effect," Prism admitted, joining in on Grim's laughter, "but the longer we're together, the better I'm getting at resisting you overall."