Clouded Purity: Chapter 11

Grim wanted to fire Sharis. Prism had arrived an hour ago, and Sharis had kept the information to himself to ensure it did not interrupt their lesson. Grim understood the tutor's decision, especially since Sharis had no idea how important Prism's presence was, but it still annoyed Grim.

But his excitement overrode any negativity, and Grim struggled to contain himself as he headed toward his rooms. Prism would be waiting for him, four months of separation would be over, and they could now spend the rest of their time together.

He opened the door without bothering to announce his presence. Prism stood in front of the unlit fireplace, appreciating a large portrait of Grim done a few years earlier, at Grim's twelfth naming day. Prism turned at the door opening, smiling as Grim dashed toward him.

"Prism, you're here!" Grim shouted, embracing Prism hard and fast, pressing the bodies together with all the energy in his body. Prism did not reciprocate, and Grim pulled back, staring at him in confusion.

"What's wrong, why aren't you—" Grim dropped the embrace immediately, his hands covering his mouth at the discomfort in Prism's eyes. "Oh no . . . they made you swear the oaths, didn't they?"

"Yes," Prism gasped, then continued with heavy breaths, his whole body twitching. "And you don't know how difficult it is for me right now to resist taking you in my arms."

"Blood . . ." Grim said, horrified at his lack of perception. "I'm so sorry. I'll contain myself. We'll figure it out." He stepped back, compelling his hands to remain at his sides, though they clenched and unclenched rapidly as he fought to keep them from reaching for Prism.

Prism coughed awkwardly at Grim's fidgeting, turning from him to look around the room. His gaze took him past the three chairs sitting around a simple table, the fireplace and the portrait, the wardrobe in the corner, and the door which led into Grim's bedchamber. Prism's gaze pointedly avoided the large bed resting beneath the window.

"You're in my room," Prism said, still avoiding Grim's gaze. "I'd have expected to be summoned to yours."

"Actually, you're in mine. You were told to wait here, right? That I'd be coming?" Grim said.

Prism nodded. "Yes. But we're both sleeping in here? That's . . ." he gulped and met Grim's eyes at last, "that's incredibly dangerous."

Grim walked over to the door which led to his bedroom and opened it, giving Prism a view into the much more spacious and opulent room. "This palace is over three hundred years old. Originally, the principal servant for whichever noble child occupied the main quarters would live here, as they were expected to be available at all times. My mother put a swift stop to that archaic practice, making it clear her children would never need constant service. My father agreed." He gestured around their current room and said, "But that means these quarters have remained empty my entire life, so it was about time someone put them to use. I had them cleaned in anticipation of your arrival."

"The only thing separating us will be a single door, which I can enter through at any point?" Prism said. "Sharing the same room would've been impossible, I think, but this is still going to be more difficult than I thought." Prism smiled helplessly and walked over to a chair, collapsing into it.

"Tempted already?" Grim asked with a frustrated laugh, taking another chair and assuming an equally casual position. Prism's robes parted enough to reveal his dark skin above his ankle. Memories of a dance of limbs came crashing back to Grim, for the last time he'd seen that ankle his lips had caressed it as they moved up Prism's leg. Grim's body responded to the memory, and Grim shifted his position to hide his arousal.