Chapter 27 - Discovery

Bold Font - Time/Location

Italic Font - Thoughts

The LAAT slowly rose off of the hangar deck and turned to face the starboard hangar door. As the LAAT ascended, the pilot contacted hangar control for permission to depart.

Sparrow: "Sparrow to Shadow Hand, this is LAAT alpha-zero-alpha requesting permission to depart. Authorization code is sierra-gamma-six-eight."

After a few seconds, the clearance code was accepted and the hangar crew responded.

Officer: "Gunship alpha-zero-alpha you are clear for departure. Depart on maneuvering thrusters only and proceed to half speed once clear of the hangar."

Sparrow: "Alpha-zero-alpha confirms. Departure sequence set."

The hangar doors opened with a loud thud and zap as the energy shields around the door engaged. The LAAT began to move forward and slowly pass through the shield as the engine of the ship hummed loudly. After some minor turbulence from passing through the shield, the gunship began to speed up and change course toward the continent designated RMNT-6. Since the continent was unnamed, it was fair enough that the Republic create some way to identify it from the rest of the continents of Remnant. Vale is RMNT-1, Vacuo is RMNT-2, Mistral is RMNT-3, Atlas is RMNT-4, and Menagerie is RMNT-5. In the passenger hold was Crane, Scar, Shark, Star, and Apollo. Each of them were hanging onto one of the bars located on the ceiling. As the ship entered the atmosphere of Remnant, the ship began to shake violently from reentry. Sparrow's voice came over the communications system in the passenger bay.

Sparrow: "Entering Remnant airspace now. Brace for atmospheric turbulence."

After a few seconds, the ship stopped shaking and the occupants relaxed. Crane decided to take this time to review the plan and make sure everyone knew what they were supposed to be doing.

Crane: "Alright. Sparrow, you know where to drop us off?"

Sparrow: "RMNT-6 if I'm not mistaken sir. We're searching for the Pride of Kuat, right?"

Crane: "That's correct. You'll be dropping us off about a kilometer south of the possible crash site. The shoreline will be an easy place to regroup if we need an extraction. Once you drop us off, you head back to the Shadow Hand and await orders. I need you to be ready at all times in case we need to make a hasty departure."

Sparrow: "You got it boss."

Crane turned to face Razor Squad. Though they hardly needed the reminder, Crane thought it best to go over the plan anyways.

Crane: "Apollo, you'll be tailing the rest of us at about one hundred meters to the rear. Your job is to prevent any unwelcome guests from dropping in and saying hello. Your number one goal is to stay undetected. Since we know absolutely nothing about this region or what threats it holds for us, your orders are to keep us in your scopes at all times."

Apollo: "Roger that. They won't know what hit them."

Crane: "Star, you'll be scanning the area for the survivors. You'll also be scanning for anything else that isn't what we're looking for. If it's not one of us, it's not friendly. Understood?"

Star: "Heard you loud and clear."

Crane: "Scar and Shark, you'll be sticking by me at all times. You're our heavy hitters. If we do find survivors, you'll be responsible for protecting them. If they're not clones, blast them. Got it?"

Both of the commandos nodded.

Crane: "Good."

Sparrow: "Arriving at RMNT-6 sir. Get ready."

All of the squad members stood by the doors. Crane was on the left with Apollo and the other three commandos were on the right. The ship began to slow down and finally stopped at a beach just to the south of the crash site. There was a lot of rocks, mud, and vines. It felt more like a swamp than it did a beach. The team jumped out of the ship and landed on the ground. As everyone was out, the gunship's doors quickly closed and it turned around and began to exit into space. After the gunship departed, the team began moving out while Apollo stayed behind, examining the area through the scopes of his DC-17M sniper.

Timeskip - RMNT-6

After about an hour hike, the team finally began to make progress. However, it wasn't the progress they'd expected to make. Star pointed out a small red and white fabric hanging off of one of the trees. As they approached it, Star put away his scanner and made a rather startling comment.

Star: "Sir...I think that's part of a cape. And if I'm not mistaken...we know only a few people who wear capes..."

Horror filled the mind of Crane. That couldn't be...there's not a chance. There SHOULDN'T be a chance.

Crane: "No, no no no...no..."

Crane: "I..."

Crane started searching for possible answers. In the end, he ultimately decided not to come to conclusions.

Crane: "No. We don't have enough evidence to suggest that that's...Ruby. Last time we spoke, she was safe and sound at Patch. There's no way this could be her."

Shark: "Then you'd better come and take a look at this sir."

Crane turned over to see Shark standing over something. Crane slowly walked over to Shark, who moved aside and pointed to a weapon; a weapon that looked like a cross between an axe and a scythe. The handle was black and most of the metallic components of the scythe were bronze with several compartments presumed to be for loading dust. The blade itself had several divisions that appeared to fold into a more compact design. The final piece of evidence and the most shocking, was the one Scar actually decided to speak up for. To Scar, this was just another weapon. He only understood Crane's passion for his friends and his allies.

Scar: "Sir."

Crane turned to see Scar holding an old picture of Ruby. It was dusty, muddy, and ripped on the edges, but it was plain and simple. Crane was filled with more thoughts and confusion than he could handle, but he did his best to contain them.

Crane: "Star...scan the weapon for DNA...is there a match with her?"

Star knelt down to the weapon and scanned it with his right wrist. One of the buttons on his communicator blinked green three times. After that, Star looked back up to Crane who looked down at the remains. Star simply nodded lightly and solemnly looked down at the bones.

Scar: "There's no doubt about it sir..."

Crane's eyes widened and he looked back at Scar, who stood there with his arms at his sides.

Scar: "This was Ruby's mother."