Don't die on me (Ashton Irwin Angst)

Summary: Ashton is badly injured, and (Y/N) doesn't leave his side for one bit.
Based on Angst Prompt #15: "Don't die on me. Please..."  (TW: Mention of death / Mention of Mugging / Hospital Setting)
(Y'all are going to hate me.)
(Request: FunnyFangirl95)  (Words: 2.4k)

--

'You need to come to the hospital... Now.' The text lit up my screen, the sound of the message catching my attention. I turn my gaze from my computer to my phone, reading the text from Luke. First thing first, it is rare for Luke to be up at 4 in the morning; the man loves to sleep. And then, why do I need to go to the hospital? And which hospital?
I pick up my phone, deciding to call him for more details.
One time, two times, three and he picks it up. His breath is harsh and rushed as he picks up the phone.
"Lu, what is going on?" I ask, cutting straight to the point.
"Ashton got mugged. He was beaten up badly. Get here now." He sounds panicked; my stomach drops, mouth getting dry and my mind still spinning as I try to wrap around what has just happened.
"Which hospital?" I manage to ask, closing my laptop and pushing myself off my desk chair.
"St. Vincent. Hurry." He replies and the line goes dead.
'Hurry.' He wouldn't be telling me to hurry if it wasn't an emergency. Which means that Ashton is in danger... My knees feel weak at the thought of it, but I refuse to believe that. Ashton is fine, Ashton is ok... He will be ok. I repeat in my head, almost like a prayer, almost like I am trying to convince fate that he has to be alright.

I didn't even change out of my homewear, I didn't even realize that I made it to the hospital. I was crying the whole ride there, my driver knew better than to ask me any questions or try to engage in a conversation. I pay for the ride and rush to get out of the car, running to the entrance of the hospital. I just want to get in, find they guys and hear that in the minutes it took me to get here, Ashton got better, that they have treated them and he will be fine. That in the end, I didn't need to rush that badly.
"(Y/N)..." I hear a familiar voice call me as I enter the hospital. I turn around and find Calum waiting for me by the emergency entrance. I take in his face, red and stained with tears, I take in his body, tensed and stiff. His shoulders are dropped low, and he is looking at me with pity and sadness.
"No... Don't you dare look at me like that. He is fine." I try to cut this bullshit off, but Calum shakes his head negatively.
"They beat him up badly. It was hard for us to even recognize him. And the doctors... They said it is bad... They said that there are chances he..." Calum stops looking at me, not daring to let out the words.
"No! Don't you ever doubt him. He is the strongest and most stubborn person I know. He is going to be fine." I almost scold him, but Calum comes closer to me and hugs me.
"He has been asking for you. He is not consenting to any procedures until he sees you." Calum explains and I look at him weirdly.
"That means he is still conscious. That's good. But why me?" I ask as we walk further inside. Calum shrugs his shoulders and rubs his eyes.
"I don't know. I am scared, (Y/N). I am scared that he is only keeping up to see you. And now that you are here..." He breaks down sobbing. I try to hold it together, hug him and rub his shoulder to soothe him.

We walk to where the rest of the visitors are gathered, finding everyone either looking blank or sobbing.
"I'll tell the doctors you are here." Calum walks away to where the doctors are examining. Everything is blurry, all of the sounds becoming hazy and banging in my brain.
"You can go in. But they will only give you 5 minutes." Calum explains and I nod, gulping the lump in my throat before I follow the nurse who smiles sympathetically at me. Ashton is surrounded by doctors, all of them whispering some course of treatment.
"Leave us alone..." Ashton struggles to talk. The doctors look at me before the move out of the room, only one staying by the door.

I walk to the bed, watching Ashton hold onto the ventilator mask. He smiles at me softly, taking the mask off his face.
"Keep it, you need it." I try to reason him. He extends his hand to me weakly, and I rush to him, knowing better than to torture him for long.
"I need to talk to you before it is too late." He wheezes; I close my eyes, fighting to stay calm and not show him how much it pains me to watch him in this condition.
"You have time. You can tell me whatever it is that you want to tell me after they take care of you." I almost beg him, pointing to the crowd of doctors outside the room.
"There is not enough time. Let me speak." He brings the mask to his face, taking a big breath into it.
I nod my head and wipe the tears running from my eyes, smiling as I turn to look at him.
"I love you. I have been in love with you since the day you stepped into that party. I love everything about you, from your smile to how your mind works. I love you so much that it hurts me to think I would ever have to pass away without telling you. I wish I had more time. I wish I had more time to spend with you. And I am sorry I don't. But I wanted to tell you. I wanted you to know that you are the most extraordinary person in my world and when I die tonight, I will be gone knowing that I let you know, even on my very last minute." He only stops to take breaths from the ventilator.
"You are wrong. You will not die tonight. You will not, I will not let that happen. You are going to be ok and you are going to take me out on a date. And you are going to have all the time in the world to love me and be loved by me. Because I love you too. So, please, let them take care of you, fix you up and I will be right here waiting for you to take me on that date. Don't die on me, please..." I lean in to kiss the side of his mouth before I motion the doctors to come in.