2: Road to Riches

( Nine Years Later)

Tiffani POV:

"Ma! Ma! Ma, where you at!? You home!!?"

I walked out of my room after getting ready for school. I walked through the living room and into the kitchen to see my sister eating cereal.

"Girl, shut up. You know ma worked the night shift last night. She tryna sleep. Now what you want?"

"I wanted to know if I could borrow her car. She said she'd be off today. Me and Mikey wanna go to the beach."

I poured the cereal into my bowl and reached in the fridge to get some milk.

"Oh, well, she told me last night she was taking extra shifts. I think she has to go back in this afternoon, but you can borrow my car."

I sat down with my cereal and looked at my sister. Something was off.... she's never this nice.

"What's the catch?"

"No catch. I'm off today and I have nothing to do. I'm avoiding Dre, if you have the car I won't have to go pick him up from work. I can just stay in bed and sleep." She said getting up and putting her dish in the sink.

"Why are you still with him? Can't you just kick him to the curb. He's so clingy."

"I'm with him because I love him and he isn't clingy he just likes spending time with me. I mean, I don't blame him.... look at me."

She did a little twirl and bowed. I hate to admit it, but she was beautiful. I look up to my sister like nobody's business. Yeah, we fight sometimes, but that's just how sisters are. Truth is, she's more of a mom to me than my own mom. It's not like my mom isn't a good mom, she just never has time for me. Ever since my dad left when I was seven, she's had to work two jobs to keep a roof over our heads. My sister even got a job straight out of high school so she could her help pay the bills. She was supposed to go to college, but she couldn't afford to pay for her books.

"Yeah yeah, whatever beauty queen. I still don't get how you two can just go throwing that word around."

I finished eating my cereal and put my bowl in the sink and we sat in the living room watching TV.

"What word... Love?"

"Yeah, just hearing it makes me wanna throw up."

"It's just like how you feel about Michael."

I sat up and threw one of the couch pillows at her.

"Shut up! I don't love Michael. I have love for him there's a difference."

"Ok what is it then?"

"When you love someone, you have to put a title on it. Like a husband or a boyfriend. But when you have love for someone that comes from having a bond with them. Ya know? You can fall out of love with Dre, but I will always have love for Mikey cause we gotta bond like that."

"That's not exactly true baby girl. When you love someone... It's like you guys become one. Like, their blood is in your veins."

"Um. Pause. I'm fine having just my blood in me. I just don't wanna fall in love, it's not my thing."

"I swear sometimes you should've been born a boy." There was a knock at the door, my sister answered it.

"Hey Jada, is Tiffani ready to go?" It was Michael, my best friend.

"Yeah let's go."

I grabbed my book bag from beside the door and walked out with Michael.

"Hey, so what's up with you?"