Nineteenth

When I woke up the next morning I was alone in my bed. Light was streaming in from the windows, it must have been late morning. I frowned, this was the first time I hadn't slept with Vox since I had arrived in Sector 3. I needed to apologize to him. He said things he shouldn't have, as did I. I just wanted to make sure that we were okay. The last thing I needed was to be in a fight with Vox over something so silly.

I turned to the nightstand to find a silver tray. There was a plate full of eggs pancakes and bacon, along with a note and a single rose in a clear vase. I smiled. No, I full on grinned. I picked up the note.

I am sorry for everything that happened last night. I regret all the things I said. If you are willing, let me make it up to you with lunch. 12:30 at the Goldmoor restaurant.

I immediately looked at the clock to get a real sense of time. 10:20. I smelt the rose, and then started digging into my breakfast, which was now a little cold. I wondered if he had made it himself, and then decided that he probably just told the chefs to make me a plate. I liked the gesture though.

After I finished breakfast, I took a quick shower and dried my hair. I decided to put on a pair of jeans and nice shirt I found. Once I finished, there was a knock on the door. I opened it to find Addeck on the other side.

"Hey, Emmary, there is a car downstairs for you."

I smiled, "Thanks."

I followed Addeck down the stairs before he turned down a hallway toward a part of the house I hadn't even been to. He paused in front of a door before fishing out a key in his pocket to unlock it with. When he shut the door behind him, it made it a locking sound. Add that to the list of sketchy things Addeck has done since I'd been here.

As soon as I stepped out, I wished I had brought a jacket with me. The wind gushed through me and sent a chill through to me bone. I hurried to the car waiting for me at the end of the drive.

Thankfully, the car was nice and toasty. It pulled away as soon as I shut the door. I gazed out the window as the huge houses turned into city buildings. This city still amazed me. I don't think I could ever get used to my new surroundings. Before I knew it we were pulled up to the library. I stared out the window puzzled.

I turned to the driver, "I thought we were going to a restaurant." The name of the establishment had escaped me.

He nodded, "Yes, the Goldmoor." He pointed to a building across the street.

"Oh, thank you." I smiled as I got out of the car and across the street to the huge building that was apparently a restaurant but didn't have the faintest of resemblances to one.

Inside the building had a wall of signs with destinations with floor numbers. Across from that sat a woman behind a desk. She smiled at me, "Miss Emmary?" I nodded in response. "Mr. Bly told me to be on the look out for you. Just head through those double doors. A waiter will point you in the direction of your table."

I smiled and gave her my thanks before following her directions. The glass double doors lead into a room decorated with tables and chairs with groups of people scattered about. The host standing at his podium and smiled at me, "Can I help you?"

I nodded, "Yes, I'm looking for Mr. Bly."

He nodded and motioned me to follow him. We weaved between clothed tables and people having light conversations. He nodded to an empty table. "Mr. Bly stepped away for a second. He will be back soon."

I took my seat and began searching for Vox. There was a large man in khakis and a polo giving his companion a hearty laugh. The table next to them was a young couple so close to each other their foreheads were almost touching. They looked as if they didn't know there were other people on the same planet as them let a lone sitting a table away. I smiled at them. I wanted a relationship like that. I wanted it to seem like we were the only two people in existence.