Tenth

Hal helped me with my hair and make-up. I didn't want to get dragged all the way across the sector to go to Janks. I didn't like that man. Every time I went there he tried to put some garbage all over my face. I liked the way Hal did my make-up, she just put a little here an there, nothing like the globs that stylist wanted to do. Hal also did my hair. She curled it and pinned it to one side.

I smiled at her in the mirror, "Do you want any help getting ready?"

She frowned at me, "Can you even work a curling iron?"

I gave her a sheepish grin, "No, but it's the thought that counts, right?"

This made Halston laugh. "Yes it is. Thank you for the offer, Emmary, but I think I will pass. Maybe tomorrow you can experiment with my hair."

I looked at her slyly, "Don't want to look too terrible for mystery matched man, huh?"

She gave me a threatening death stare, but couldn't hold it for long. She started smiling before saying her threat, "You do realize that I'm wielding something that is over 300 degrees, right? Just a slip of the hand and there goes your oh so pretty face." I stuck my tongue out at her and she laughed. "Okay, you're done."

I stood up and gave her a hug, "Thanks, Hal."

She gave me a tight squeeze back, "No problem." When we let go I walked over to my closet. "Did you pick out a dress already?"

I nodded, "Yeah, Vox said I should wear this blue one." Well he didn't really say it.

"Ooh, that one is perfect. Go put it on. I think I'm going to see if I can't find anything in here for myself."

I went into the bathroom and changed into the strapless navy blue dress. There were a few dark colored beads sewn into the fabric that made the dress catch the light every once in a while. It clung to my body in all the right places without being too revealing. I really liked it, I think it might even be my favorite.

I emerged from the bathroom to see Hal holding up a black dress and looking in the floor length mirror. She stopped to look at me, "Wow, Emmary. You look, gorgeous. I love that dress."

I smiled at her complement, "Thank you."

"What do you think about this black one? It'll look fine, right?"

"What about that emerald green one?"

Hal made a disgusted face for half a second before giving me a polite smile. I knew her fake smiles from a mile away. "Oh, no thanks. I think I'll stick to the black one."

"You don't like the green one?"

She bit her lip, "Not really."

"Then why did you buy it?"

"What you don't like it either?"

I laughed and shook my head, "God no, it's uglier than shit." I bit my lip, "Sorry, cuss words normally just stay in my head."

Hal started busting out laughing. It was a good thing she hadn't done her makeup yet because tears started streaming down her face. "That was possibly the most adorably funny thing you've ever said to me, Emmary."

"What, shit?"

She shook her head, "No, the bit about the cuss words."

"What, it's true. I say cuss words all the time in my head. Hell and damn and shit not so much bitch, but ever now and again some girl deserves it."

This only made Hal laugh harder. "Oh Emmary. I love you to pieces." She wiped her tears once she started to calm down. She cleared her throat, "So you really don't like this dress." I shook my head, "Okay, well I thought you liked it, but thank God." She laughed a little more, "I'll have it returned."