Second

January 01, 2116.

 I had gone to bed immediately once I got home, I didn't even bother changing. But I didn't sleep. I laid in my bed and stared at the ceiling. All night I wondered about what it was going to be like. What Vox was going to be like. I fantasized that he was just like me. That he lived in a similar home, had similar parents. I was hoping that he too wanted a nice life, a nice family, a nice place to live, and someone he loved. I couldn't bare the fact that I was leaving this life behind, though. My nice little life with Vox Bly turned sour. I started to picture his family being mean and hurtful. I imagined him hating me. I then couldn't sleep because I was dreading waking up. I didn't want the next day to start. I watched at the sun started to peak in through my window. There was a knock on my door and I sat up.

Mother opened the door. "I'm leaving for work. Make sure you are at the station by ten. It will take you to the Capital building."

I nodded, just as she started to leave I stopped her. "Mother?"

"What, Emmary?" She looked somewhat annoyed.

"I'm leaving today."

She looked confused, "I know. That's why I told you to be at the station by ten."

"Right." She closed the door on her way out. I whispered goodbye even though she couldn't hear me, nor did it matter. I felt a tear roll down my cheek, and I quickly wiped it away before more followed.

I got up and filled the tub with water before taking a bath. I scrubbed off any signs of dirt and outdoors on my body. As I dried myself with the towel, I heard a knock on the front door. I grabbed some dry clothes and put them on before answering the door.

A smiling Teyland was on the other side of the threshold. "I saw your mother leave and figured you could use somebody to help you get ready."

I smiled and nodded, "Thank you, but doesn't Koontz need your help?"

She laughed and walked into our home, "Boys are a little different. He just needed to bathe and put on the nice clothes I laid out for him."

She was right, boys were different. They didn't have to leave. They didn't have say goodbye to their family, to their friends. They just had to wait for their match to show up at the station. Girls on the other hand had to look their best, we leave our whole lives behind. Every memory we've ever made will be the only things tying us to our pasts. We'll never return, never come back. We just go live happily ever after with our matches.

"I would love your help, Teyland."

She smiled, "Great. Where's your brush?"

I grabbed my brush from the bathroom and sat down at the kitchen table while Teyland fixed my hair. There was some pulling and yanking as she brushed. "How long as it been since you brushed your hair?"

I put my hand to my head as she brushed out another knot, "A while. I haven't seen the point. It's not like had anyone to impress."

"You didn't need to brush your hair to impress Quin."

The mention of Koontz's name made my stomach wrench. I didn't want to think about it. I didn't want to face the fact that I would never see him again. I would never see Teyland or Elex or any of my friends ever again. I was leaving forever. I felt the tears start to slip. I covered my face with my hands, but that wasn't enough to stop the onslaught of tears that were coming from my eyes.

I felt Teyland's hands trying to pull mine away from my face, "Emmary, Sweetie, what's wrong?"

I shook my head and started mumbling through the sobs, "I'm scared, Teyland, I don't want to leave."