Thirty

Vox had said that he would meet Addeck in his room, I took that window of opportunity to sneak back into Vox's room. I quietly closed the door behind me and flipped the lights on.

The room was the exact same as it had been every time I walked in. But there was something different about it now. It had a haunting quality that caused a shiver to run through me. I quickly walked to the desk in hopes of finding some sort of evidence buried in the drawers.

I flipped through stacks of papers with experiment labels. Different ways of coding DNA and pairing them together. I didn't understand most of the words in the reports. I skipped to the next drawer. It was locked. I moved on to the last drawer, keeping note to look for keys along the way.

The last drawer had a Search Engine along with some other gadgets. I pulled out the Search Engine, maybe there was a clue in what he was searching. I powered it on and clicked on recent searches. A long list appeared, the first thing on it? Lincoln Bly murder.

I clicked on the words and it brought me to a new list. Why would he be looking through the reports of Mr. Bly's death? He was there, wasn't he? Maybe he was gathering information on the investigation. But Captain Pike was the head of the investigation, I'm sure Pike was keeping him apprised of any news.

I scanned through a couple articles that had been recently clicked on by Vox. They all stated the same thing, the details that had previously been released to the public the morning after his death. How Mr. Bly entered the building at 6:00pm and then again at 11:20pm. That emergency services were called 9 minutes later.

One link that had been clicked on was from a small independent newspaper. The title of it's article was Government Covers up Lincoln Bly's Murder. Intrigued, I clicked on the article and skimmed through the words.

As the world knows, Lincoln Bly was murdered on the top floor of the Selection building sometime between 11:20pm and 11:29pm last night. Just nine minutes after entering the building, Lincoln Bly was shot and killed. I, like everyone should, have a few holes in this story that I need to point out.

First and foremost is the fact that the Selection building is the most secure building in the world. The security system was designed in 2098 by a Ryker Craft. He designed the system to only allow access to those with proper credentials via what he called the "Eyedentifier". Ryker Craft died shortly after the security system was installed in a fire which also destroyed all of the blueprints to the system. Craft's death in itself is still a controversial mystery. There would be no way that someone could infiltrate the system because the system's set up is not public knowledge. Because of this, since the installment of Craft's Eyedentifier, the Selection Building has never been infiltrated. There were also no signs of the system being cut off. These facts lead to the conclusion that no one could have broken into the Selection building.

The system has one fault. It only logs who enters, not who leaves. It was recorded that Lincoln Bly entered the Selection building at 6:00pm and then again at 11:20pm. The mainstream media claims that he had a meeting across town at the Library. However, if one were to look into the Library records, there is no indication that there was any such meeting held. This leads to the conclusion that Mr. Bly did not have a meeting at the Library. So, where did he go? What if he never left at all?

Working on the premise that Mr. Bly did leave, he could have brought someone back with him. However, Vox Bly, Lincoln Bly's son and the new Selector, indicated at the press release that they had been alone. The only two people in the building were Lincoln and Vox Bly.

I set the Search Engine down, unable to read anymore. Was this guy suggesting that Vox was the one to kill Mr. Bly? Sure, they had been alone, but like the author said, maybe Mr. Bly brought someone back with him. When Vox took me to the roof, he opened all the doors, I didn't have to do anything. Maybe that was the same case, maybe it was someone Mr. Bly trusted.