First

I stared up at the concrete wall. It was huge and intimidating. I didn't even bother looking over at Koontz. I already knew that a huge smile was plastered all over his face. This was the day. The day he had been waiting for since for God knows how long.

"Come on, Em." He crouched beside the wall with his hands interlocked.

I stared at him with one eyebrow raised. "What on earth are you doing?"

"I'm getting ready to give you a boost."

I scoffed, "Um, no you're not."

He stood up, "You don't want to climb the wall with me?"

Again I stared at him. I couldn't believe he thought I was going to do this. It was a crazy and stupid idea. "No, I don't think I want to be shot today."

He rolled his eyes, "You're not going to get shot."

"Koontz, if you want to see what's on the other side of the wall, then go through the gate, but you are not getting me to climb that."

"I have to have an official business reason to leave, you know that."

I smiled, "My point."

He sighed, "Come on, Em! It'll be a great adventure to tell your grandkids."

I shook my head, "I'm not having grandkids."

"Why not."

"Because I'm not having kids."

He groaned, "Are you going to rant about Selection again?"

I nodded, he knew me all too well. "Yes. Yes I am. The government matches us up based on DNA so we can create the perfect race, and I'm not going to take part in it. Marriage and starting a family is about love not genes. Call me crazy if I want to be with someone I love."

"Crazy." He smiled while I frowned at him. "Please, Em? Tonight is our last night together. Tomorrow you'll be whisked away to another Sector and we'll never see each other again." Koontz put his arms around me and kissed me.

When he broke the kiss, I shook my head, "I'm still not climbing it."

He sighed, "It was a good try though, right?"

I rolled my eyes in response. "What is your obsession with this wall?"

He looked up at it, "I want to see the other side."

"Its just a bunch of trees. Not worth getting arrested over."

He shook his head, "No, I want to see the other side. I want to see what's out there, and I want to do it with you. Come on, Emmary, we've been best friends for eleven years and this is our last day together. Let's do this."

"Twelve." I corrected him.

He smiled, "Come on. I need to see it."

I looked up at the wall once again. It was at least 12 feet high. I sighed and weighed my options. I looked over at Koontz. "You really want to do this, don't you?"

"Desperately."

I sighed and reluctantly said, "Just don't look up my dress."

His face lit up, "You'll do it now?"

"Don't make me change my mind."

He laughed and then interlocked his hands for me. "Okay, put your foot in my hands and I'll try to lift you up." I did as he told and stepped into my hands as he gave me a boost. I could just barely reach the top of the wall. "Jump up to the wall."