Prologue

Hatred. A single human being could not be filled with so much, yet I am. Except you wouldn't call me human. Not anymore. If you heard me, saw me, or even stepped close to me, you would have an urge to get away.

But this isn't my fault, I swear.

I have always been the sweet, giving girl in my town south of Kaslo in British Columbia, where I lived with a decent size community roughly a mile west from the Cody Caves Provincial Park.

As a girl with 'pretty features of emerald green eyes and vivid orange hair' and an all around average lifestyle, I was to graduate this year.

The reason for my not being able to graduate anymore cannot be explained with a few simple words such as 'It was too hard.' No. As far as I'm concerned, school was a cinch.

Everyone in my town, which we call Cave's Edge, knows to stay well away from the caves that are spread throughout the Cody Caves Provincial Park. Many unforseen dangers lurk in the darkness of the caves and anyone who goes near them rarely returns. The ones who were lucky enough to return have dozens of red stings over their body. Whatever creature stung them is poisionous and causes the people who got stung to be delirious, so they can't tell us what happened in the caves.

These caves are part of the reason that took two innocent souls. To me, they are a minor part in my story.

The main reason caused my seventeen years of normal, human life to be swept away in less than an hour. The planning, however, had been going on for weeks. Everything that was planned out happened 'for the sake of the world', no matter the consequence.

Now, my best friend, Briana Kindler, and I, Ayla Everette, were never going to graduate.

To explain to you what happened, I will have to begin on the first day of what was supposed to be my final year at Little Creek High School.