XXIX - Happily... Ever... After

Start from the beginning

Songkarn was listening intently because this was surely the first times Anurak was talking this openly. That too was one of the things, which had changed a lot after he was mortalized.

"You know, I woke up every morning for as long as I can remember with a feeling of hopelessness and sadness so profound that I didn't even think that there could be anything different in this life. Then I started to see different mornings. Feelings that I never thought I could feel, started appearing in me. I wanted to tell you this and to ask you to hold back from now on and let me love you. From when you were little, you have only lived for others, for me. I want to show you how much I can love you. How much anyone can ever love you."

Songkarn didn't feel like crying, but he felt as if he was able to see every word Anurak had uttered as a true mirroring of his own feelings. So it made him feel humbled and even a little bit small. As if Anurak's words were giving him the needed vision into his world, which was always lacking in some ways, and Songkarn had felt like there was never a clear sight until now. Anurak had decided to show all of him to Songkarn.

"Do you know what that angel said to me?" Songkarn looked puzzled, but Anurak didn't even notice his confusion.

"She said that I was an experiment. Basically that I should be happy because I'm the first successful one. The first, who learned how to live and how to love. How to love so truly that I'm able to earn it in return. Also, the witch, who cast this spell on me, and the others before me, did it unknowingly. She didn't even know that there is a possibility of a positive ending. Of true love happening. As a matter of fact, she learned the rhyme but forgot to ask what it meant. Isn't that, in a twisted way, funny?"

"Anurak, who is 'she'?"

"She is the one, whose voice I heard when I was woken up and brought back. It was a surreal experience, but it brought me back to you. Which means, I can't wish for anything else. I also believe that she was an angel. Though no proof was given. I just have this feeling. I think she was the one who protected me for my millennium or one of them at least."

Songkarn was thinking, and it did make sense. If they could believe of the spirits, a deity's to pray to, then why would the heavenly angels be any less believable?

"Anurak, did you really die?"

He looked to be in deep thought. The wind was blowing Anurak's hair onto his eyes. The warmth of sunlight on his face made him look content, satisfied and still.

"I don't know, darling. It is a hell of a thing to believe. I'm not sure if I really died. Maybe a part of me did. I would believe that a bit more easily. That one part of my soul, the cursed part, died from the dagger. And the piece of me, that was born all these years ago, that's the part that survived now. The part of me that has been given a chance to truly live." Anurak turned to Songkarn and just for a few seconds, silently collected his thoughts. He looked utterly serious before he started his next sentence.

"Songkarn, this is not something I would say just to make you happy, or for you to feel important or anything. This is because I need you to know, how much you made me love you. This chance, to truly live, this is all because of you. You showed me your heart. It took care of mine and as they healed each other, comforted each other, made themselves whole again, I found my soul again. I am whole with a soul, body, and heart. Together again in the same life. Living the same life. Nothing hurting, nothing breaking, no emptiness anymore. All because of you. Thank you Songkarn. I do love you so much."

Songkarn didn't step towards him and it took Anurak a while to understand. He did not find doubt gnawing at him. He did not doubt in Songkarn's love. So he waited, Songkarn had obviously something he needed to say. He was right.