Author's Note

Author's Note

Fall was written as part of an open call for anthology submissions, around the theme of shifters. I chose cats and wolves as I quite like them and I think they're a safe choice for a short story where you can't write lots about the mythos. I didn't need to world build a lot as they're so commonly used. Fall wasn't chosen for the anthology in the end but the printing press liked the story and said they could take it and publish it on its own if a few changes were made.

In the end, Fall went through a lot of revisions (big ones, unlike Love Like War, and the word count jumped up a fair amount as a result) before it became the version that you've read just now. There were three rewrites which, admittedly, did definitely help the story but it was time consuming and an exhausting process. If I hadn't been told to, I personally wouldn't have chosen to do it.

I wrote this story because I thought getting included in an anthology woud help boost sales of LLW. Despite knowing it'd happen as I was a new name, I did feel bad that a press had taken a chance on me and the sales just weren't coming. I wanted to help. Hopefully, people would buy the anthology and like my story and then look at LLW. As it was published on its own, that didn't happen.

This story didn't help me achieve what I wanted but I still like it. I don't mind this story personally, despite how difficult it was to edit. However, I had to skim through it to put it on wattpad and I can tell it was written by a teenager. I've improved a lot since then, and I do think that going through the revision process for Fall was helpful for that.

There's one last story I've uploaded, a short for another anthology the printing press ran called Villains Inc - the story of a sympathetic villain. I never named the story, and it is just two chapters, but I hope you read it, too!

Thanks for reading, voting and commenting.

Mickey <3