Part 2

2.

"Two days."

"One," Jeremy said, tapping his paw once on Duke's leg.

"Really?" Duke asked. "I don't think your parents are going to fold that easily."

"They will, they can never stay firm with the punishments they give Callum, not even when he does something really stupid. Besides, he still has school for another two weeks and our parents won't be able to monitor him while he's there which means that they'll forget and he'll get his phone and laptop back before you know it."

Duke looked at him, saying, "Yeah, I'm going to assume you're sticking with your number from that spiel because, not going to lie, I didn't really understand it."

Jeremy had always thought that Duke and he had a special bond, and no matter what, they'd have at least a good idea of what the other was thinking but three days stuck in his bobcat form was already teaching him that it wasn't true. There was a very real communication barrier between them, and while he could get his parents or Callum to translate if he needed them to, there were some subjects that they couldn't be privy to. Like how quickly his parents would cave for Callum.

"I think you're wrong," Duke said, adding, "we should bet on it."

"You don't have anything I want."

"The stakes should be that, if I'm right, I get to take pictures of you in your cast. If you're right, though, you get the knowledge that you know your own family better than I do."

"That's shit," Jeremy said, batting at him lightly.

Duke grinned, catching his paw. "And that's the handshake of agreement! It's good doing business with you, Jeremy."

"That doesn't count."

But if he was being honest, Jeremy didn't care that much because he was bored and mostly relegated to sitting on his cushion or on the couch and he knew that he shouldn't move but he felt restless with too much pent up energy. It was frustrating, even though his parents and Callum were trying to distract him, and he felt that most strongly when Duke had to go back home at night. It was only twenty minutes away by car but it felt like it was an eternity away and he made sure to voice his displeasure and show it in the way he kneaded the couch with his claws out. It was oddly satisfying to feel his claws drag against the material.

"Damn," Duke said, surveying the damage he'd done the next morning. "That couch can now be considered very well-loved by a cat."

It stung like a criticism and he hissed, "Come at me."

"Whoa," he said, holding his hands up. "I didn't mean anything by it, but I don't know, maybe don't try destroying your own family's stuff? It doesn't make any sense in the long run and you're normally more practical than that."

He was and he felt the guilt acutely. "You're right, I should apologise to them. I've been a brat."

Duke couldn't understand him but he got the vague gist of what he said from his bowed head and he smiled. "How about we go and eat some breakfast? You'll need your energy for today."

"Are you going to feed me cat food?" he asked sceptically.

"How does chicken breast sound?"

"You know I love you, right?"

It took some positioning but they managed to get Jeremy on the kitchen island, sitting comfortably as he ripped into his chicken breast, and Duke had a bowl of cereal because cooking was a skill they had yet to master.