Chapter 25 - Shadows

Bold Font - Time/Location

Italic Font - Thoughts

It was dark. The hieroglyphs along the sides of the wall were barely visible. From the look of it, it seemed like a temple of some sort. The temple was ancient, at least a thousand years old. Dust and cobwebs were lining the crevices between the walls at different angles and all sorts of bugs were scampering about on them. The sound of footsteps echoed throughout the room. There was a short time before each footstep, so the person was probably walking. A faint orange light appeared in a room located at the end of a hallway. The person walked toward the light, wearing a black cloak so their appearance could not be seen. As the individual advanced toward the room, a small stone platform could be seen with the same symbols carved into it as the ones on the walls. On top of it was a small, maroon, wooden box. The symbols on the box weren't as decayed as the ones on the walls. The hieroglyphs depicted a man flying, a man clearing a path through an ocean creating a canyon in the ocean floor, a man shooting a green energy beam from his hands, and a man that appeared to be creating more of himself behind him. The man in the black cloak reached toward the box, and opened it. The stranger then spoke in a deep and masculine voice, one that sounded humble but powerful.

???: "All of these years...all of this searching...no one thought it really existed. I even found myself doubting those beliefs for quite some time. But here it sits. The answer to all of my problems..."

Inside the box was a golden ring with miniature hieroglyphs carved into it. These symbols were much more angular and not as detailed as the ones on the box or on the temple walls. The ring had two fangs angled upward coming out from the sides and pointing inward toward the center. Lodged in the center of the ring was a green gem. The gem glowed brightly when the stranger reached to grab it.

???: "Such power...!"

He finally grabbed it, and the glowing subsided. He held it to the orange light of the dimly-lit room with his index finger and thumb holding it on two sides of the ring. He grabbed the ring with his thumb and middle finger of the opposite hand and slipped it on his ring finger of his right hand. Once it was on, the gem glowed a bright green, fully illuminating the chamber and sending a surge of power through the wearer's veins.

???: "Now...there's just one thing left to do."

Timeskip - The Land of Darkness

The broken moon of Remnant glistened in the blood-tinted sky. All around, pools of black muck bubbled and vibrated against the ground. One of the bubbles began to grow, and then form into what appeared to be an arm. The coating of muck fell off as a large arm with black fur and white claws reached out and grabbed the edge of the pool. Another arm soon followed, and eventually the creature was revealed to be a Grimm. The same occurrence was happening throughout every other pool in the area, with Grimm of all kinds spouting from the wells. Emerald and Mercury were standing at a window in Salem's castle, watching in disgust and shock at the Grimm's reproductive fashion. Cinder snapped her fingers while sitting at the conference table with Tyrian, Hazel, and Arthur. Mercury and Emerald began to approach Cinder, Arthur was checking his scroll, Tyrian was sitting on his chair, and Hazel was doing the same as Tyrian except with his legs on the ground instead of hunched up like a frog. As Emerald and Mercury arrived at the table, Arthur spoke up.

Arthur: "Yes yes, please keep your...posse...in check."

Mercury clenched his hand into a fist and was about to attack Arthur until Emerald put her hand in front of him and stopped Mercury's rash decision. Cinder looked at the pair in annoyance but also a slight tint of fear. Oum knows what would happen if Salem entered the room with...trouble occurring. Arthur decided to continue his games and looked over at Hazel who couldn't be any more concerned.