Chapter Forty-One

Start from the beginning

"I'm not taking sides on this one," he said, stepping back.

Harry opened his mouth as if to argue back, but before he had the chance to, a whistle blew and the crowds fell silent. The teams jogged onto the pitch and Liam spotted Louis instantly.

Rather than being the shortest like he had been on the school team, he was now of average height in comparison to the other players. He wore a long sleeved white shirt beneath his light blue football jersey, and his hands were gloved. He smiled and gave a small wave when he spotted his parents, nose tinted pink, cheeks a matching shade.

"He must be freezing," Zayn muttered, forever concerned about something or other, eyes focused on the shorts that the boys were all wearing.

Liam smiled and shook his head, waving back to their sporty son as the game started. "He'll be more than warm enough once they're all running about," he said, and Zayn shook his head.

"As soon as this game's over, we're all going somewhere for hot chocolate."

#

The game ended and Louis' team won, but they didn't get to go for hot chocolate straight away.

"And did you see how I made that goal? It shoulda been impossible!" Louis rambled, grinning from ear to ear, somehow sweating from the heat of running despite the chilled air and the fact that everyone else was in winter attire.

Liam grinned back and opened his mouth to praise his son once again as he ruffled his hair.

But then another man approached them, tall and bulky, on the older side. A tall boy with long features and white blond hair was by his side, wearing the same kit as Louis.

"Hey, Billy!" Louis greeted, and the two of them fell into excited chatter about the game.

"Good game, right?" the man said, and Liam smiled and nodded politely. The man held out his hand. "I'm Joe, we've been on the team for a couple years now. Your boy's new, right? He's a good player," he said with a smile.

Liam nodded. "Thanks, he's always been good. Oh, I'm Liam, this is my husband Zayn," he introduced, not missing the way the man's expression changed when his eyes landed on Zayn, who gave a stiff nod.

Liam could understand the instant dislike for the man. He was almost too boisterous from the get go, and much too loud and out there in personality for his liking. Still, he tried not to judge too quickly.

"Husband," he murmured, then he frowned slightly. "Of course. I read a story in the paper, there was a picture of you two - your other son, he was the one who," he waved his hand around, nose scrunched up and Liam had to grit his teeth slightly at the look of disgust on Joe's features.

Yes, their twelve year old son was the one who was abused by a man he was supposed to trust. The way Joe had just described it made it seem as if it was an error on their son's behalf, and that filled him with anger.

"Yes," he ground out, looking around and deciding to gather the family together and get going. He didn't want to speak to the rude man in front of him any longer.

They were all quite close, Niall and Luke standing closeby and talking away with Louis and Joe's son, Harry and Ash whispering to each other still. Zayn was beside him, glaring at the man.

"Shame that," the man carried on, clearly having no tact and no sympathy. He tucked his hands into his pockets and gave a shrug. "Must be tough on the lad, not having a mother. Probably confused him a bit, you know -"

Liam was glad that Zayn stepped forward before he could land one right on Joe's nose.

"Watch. Your. Fucking. Step," he ground out, and Joe let out a too-loud laugh, raising his hands as if in surrender and leaning back slightly.