Chapter Nineteen

Harry caught up with Louis at the end of the day, waiting outside the front gates. His brother frowned and looked ready to turn and walk in the opposite direction when he saw him, and Harry rolled his eyes.

He was well-aware the twelve year old was avoiding him because he hadn't spoken to their parents yet. He still planned to, because he wasn't going to let him carry on as he was.

"Lou, really? You looked right at me," he said, catching him by the arm as he tried to walk by.

Louis tried to act surprised and Harry had to try not to laugh despite himself. "Harry? Where'd you come from?" he asked, and he shook his head.

"Hilarious. Come on, Ash is giving us a lift," he said. His Papa had sent him a text to say he couldn't leave Niall alone in the house because he was sick, and so the boys were going to have to make their own way home.

He wasn't glad Niall was sick, but he was glad that it was going to give him the chance to speak to Louis again before he spoke to the Dads. In the midst of the drama with Louis and everything that had happened with Ash, Harry had almost forgotten about the bruises on Niall and what he suspected was bullying - he knew once he'd sorted this mess, he'd have to start taking care of his other brother, too.

Louis sighed. "I can walk, I have legs," he said, and Harry shook his head.

"You're not funny, Lou. Now come on, Ash is waiting," he said, dragging his brother towards his boyfriend's car.

He was still feeling the butterflies about what had happened between them on Friday night. It hadn't been the way he'd imagined, it had been slow and sweet and he didn't regret it for even a second. He felt like he had been on a high ever since.

His brother groaned. "I don't need you to lecture me. You're not Dad or Papa," he argued, though he still climbed into the back of the car.

Harry slipped in beside him as Ashton started up the engine. "Yeah, well, Dad and Papa can have their turn when we get home."

"What?" Louis looked nervous, shaking his head. "Haz, please don't tell! I didn't even do anything."

He raised an eyebrow. "So you didn't sneak out to a party on Friday night?"

He had really hit the spot there, because his brother looked panicked, then frowned. "Did Niall tell you? That little -"

"Ni didn't do anything, Lou. There are pictures on social media. You're in the background of a few, drinking. Again," he said, shaking his head. He had been shocked to see the pictures, but mostly concerned because it wasn't right. Twelve year olds were meant to stay in and play video games, complain about school and be moody.

They weren't supposed to be sneaking out to parties and getting drunk.

Louis went quiet then, no longer having an attitude as he slouched back in his seat and chewed his lip, before glancing across at his older brother nervously. Harry did feel a little guilty, because he knew whatever was going on with Lou probably wasn't entirely his own fault.

"I...I don't want Dad and Papa to hate me," he mumbled, and Harry sighed when he saw the teary eyes because that was the brother he knew, the brother who had a conscience.

"They won't hate you Lou, but you have to stop lying to them. You need to tell the truth about whatever's going on that makes you feel like you need to go out and drink to fit in. Please?" he asked, softly, and Louis sniffed and gave a small nod, looking ashamed.

"Okay."

#

The house was quiet when they got in, and for a moment, Louis thought it was empty. He hoped it was empty, because he really wasn't prepared to get shouted at as soon as he walked in through the door.