Chapter Twenty-Three

Zayn held his breath as the car shuddered to a stop outside their house. It was dark out now, the hospital hadn't seemed to be in any rush to get the tests done.

Niall hadn't said a word the entire time, and he hadn't even allowed his Papa to come into the room with him. So Zayn had waited patiently outside and tried to respect his son's choice even though all he wanted to do was run in there and hold his hands and be there with him.

When the Doctor had come out and told them that they had gotten what they needed, he hadn't known whether to be relieved or cry. They told him they were sending things off to forensics and they'd have complete results soon.

He hadn't reacted. He just told them he was taking his kid home, because the twelve year old was pale and tired and he looked ready to collapse. He'd managed to get him to eat half of a kit-kat from the hospital vending machine for dinner but that was it. Even the nurse on hand had pulled Zayn aside to tell him that his son's BMI was far below where it should be, writing down a few details so they could get support.

Zayn had stuck it in his pocket, not wanting to think about that in that moment. He just wanted to get his twelve year old home, safe and sheltered, where he belonged.

Now they were in the driveway in the dark, and he glanced at Niall, curled up in the front seat with his tired eyes zoned out on the dashboard ahead, wondering what he should say. He just wanted to hear the kid ramble on about something small like he used to, hell, he'd even want to hear him shout and swear like the seven year old he had first met. Anything had to be better than this.

"Ni," he started, turning in his seat slightly and the twelve year old jumped, head snapping round to face his father before he finally seemed to take in his surroundings and realise that they were home. He winced. "Sorry, Bug...I know its late, but I'm sure Dad's still up. We could all have dinner together, if you wanted," he tried in vain, but Niall just shook his head.

He waited for the kid to say something. To object, to decline, to just murmur a 'no' for crying out loud. But nothing.

He sighed, rubbing his eyes. It had been what felt like the longest day of his life, and he didn't want to get frustrated, especially not with someone so fragile and breakable.

"Okay," he murmured. "That's okay...it's been a rough day."

At least that elicited some sort of response, because Niall turned back to look at him, ducking his head. It took everything in him not to just reach out and pull the kid in to his chest and hold him so tightly that all those broken little piece would fit together again.

But then the front door opened and a stripe of orange light spread across the bonnet of the car. Liam was standing there in his scruffy clothes, arms folded tightly over his chest, a tight smile forced on his lips.

He unbuckled his seat-belt and waited for Niall to do the same before the two of them got out, and he allowed his son to walk in front of him slightly on the way up to the house.

"Hey, baby," Liam murmured in greeting when he saw the kid, eyes sad but lips turned up in an attempt to be reassuring. "Dinner's in the microwave, we saved you some -" he cut himself off when both men saw the expression on Niall's face. He looked scared, and Zayn couldn't wrap his head around, despite trying a million times, exactly how they had missed all those little signs.

They closed the door and finally, after what felt like a lifetime, Niall spoke in a voice so much quieter than usual, almost inaudible. "Can I have a shower?" he whispered.

Liam and Zayn looked at each other, then back down to the little blond, fragile body swamped by those oversized clothes.

"Okay, sweetie...but, you - you know you have to eat, right?" Liam said softly, and Niall barely glanced up at him as he started on his way up the stairs. "Tomorrow, okay? I'll make all your favourites and -"