Chapter 7

"Hazel!" said Arren, calling to me. I was still in bed, sleeping hard from a long night. I decided to ignore him, barley calling out in a groan as a reply : "Hazel...is...sleepy..."

"Hazeeeeeel!" The noise grew louder and louder until a body crushed onto me, making the whole bed jump. By now, I knew it was Arren who was lying on top of me. His laugh filled the air, and he held his stomach as he tumbled onto the floor, still laughing.

All I did was angrily groan more and tuck my head under the covers. Obviously meaning to annoy me, Arren exposed my feet to the cold air and shortly after, yanked them until I plopped down what I thought would be the floor.

I landed face down on top of Arren and he briefly stared directly into my eyes as if he was confused making for an uncomfortable situation. Still sitting in the same position, he perked his head up and started talking

"Wow... I... didn't think you'd be this heavy," he said it in almost a whisper.

"Shut up!" I said, and quickly rolled off of him.

"Well," I started again, placing my hands awkwardly on my hips. "I guess I have to get ready!"

"You certainly do," He responded sarcastically over nodding and bowing. "You know your friend is suppose to be coming today, better hurry!"

I quickly got dressed in another set of clothes that I borrowed from Sage after what Arren said before he left the room. I burst out of behind the door where both Sage and Arren were already dressed sitting on their distressed couch placed in the living room. "What are you guys doing?" I asked with a smile on my face from still thinking about Scarlet finally coming over. I can.t even imagine how confused she might be, maybe even more than I was when I first came here. I remember I had to find "something to do" also as Sage and Arren had said the day before. There was so many thoughts and things to do today.

"Wait a second..." I said. I heard noises coming from outside the house which was strange because this was one of the few houses in the Detachment that isn't near at least three other ones. The noises from outside sounded distorted but violent. I had to see what it was.

I took one quick look outside to see what commotion was happening, and shut the door, not even stepping a foot out right after I saw what was going on.

"Guys, we have to hide. Or get out of here."

Both people had confused looks on their faces "Why?" Said Sage as if I was being completely rediculous.

"There are at least ten society soldiers out there. It looks like they're hurting some people." I was trying to be as calm as possible. "We have to go now."

"Come one!" I exclaimed, grabbing Arren's hand first and then Sage's. They both got up and I explained how our only option was to sneak out the back. Since there is thick forest directly behind the house, there most likely wouldn't be any people out in the back. We striped to be as quiet as possible to disappear into the woods when someone caught my eye. We could perfectly hear the terrible noises coming from the front. A sort distance from me in my fission, I could see Scarlet. She looked extremely confused and hopeless, looking around but staying in one spot. She didn't see me.

"Scarlet!" I whispered, dropping everything and disregarding the whole situation to run up to her.

"Hazel?" I heard her say, just catching sight of me.

I was almost to her when it happened. Scarlet fell to the ground in what seemed like in a split second. Or maybe in slow motion.

I couldn't believe I was seeing this

"Scarlet!" I screamed from the top of my lungs. I didn't care if we were suppose to be quiet.

A soldier came from behind her. I must have not seen him in all the commotion. He had a small gun in his hand, but it shot Scarlet with extreme power.
"Scarlet! No, come on!" I screeched again
So built up with anger, I pathetically repeatedly hit the soldier. Ready to shoot his gun at me, I simultaneously kicked him to the ground wile grabbing his gun. These soldiers could be stupid.
I threw the small gun in the direction of Sage frantically, hoping she would catch it, and knelt beside Scarlet. She was laying on the ground not able to get up with a muddy blood stained shirt.
"Ha...zel?" She said weakly
But soon, her eyes closed in death, her breathing stopped, and she was gone.