1

Time can never mend

A careless whisper of a good friend

...

As the music dies, something in your eyes
Calls to mind the silver screen
And all its sad good-byes

"I don't know if this thing with you and Damon will work, but I think that you should give it a try - after everything - maybe you should give him a chance" Stefan says

"Ha?" Elena turns back to her dance partner.

"You and Damon"

"Sorry, Stefan. I got to go" the doppelganger slips out of the vampires arms and hurries away out of the Historical Society Building.

On the other side of the dance podium, the Original vampire twirls his dance partner away to the arms of one of his arch enemies.

"What - Elijah?" the female hybrid scoffs in protest, but the vampire doesn't look back.

In the park, he now catches up with the doppelganger that rushes, holding her gown up, trying to be as fast as she could, but is stopped by the Original, that now pulls her by her arm into the tree maze.

"Elijah - let me go!" Elena tugs her arm away from the vampire.

With a tiny apology, Elijah releases the brunette's arm.

"What do you want?"

"The astrolabe." Elijah says openly ,"I will not let you go there on your own. We agreed we will do this together."

"That was - before you betrayed me."  the doppelganger narrows her eyes at the Original, picking up her gown, ready to leave. And as she was about to walk past him, Elijah slides his hand around her waist stopping her in her tracks. The warmth of his hand seeps into her. All inside her stirs up, though she fights hard not to be shaken by his touch, by his presence. Her breath hitches. And for a moment there, she wants to tangle herself up in him, have him whisk her away. But then she puts her hand on his easing his hand away. She beams up at him and he releases her, but only to take hold of her hand.

"Please, Elena" Elijah's voice is mellow, his eyes pleading.

"No - not again -" Elena says slipping her hand out of the Original's.

Tonight the music seems so loud

I wish that we could lose this crowd
Maybe it's better this way
We'd hurt each other with the things we'd want to say

We could have been so good together

We could have lived this dance forever
But no one's gonna dance with me
Please stay