14

A tray of food was brought to Katherine and Lily's gilded prison, the woman that brought the food was not Josie but and older woman. Her hair was thick, long and grey and her skin sagged.

"Where's Josie?" Lily asked, trying to sound as polite as possible.

"Seeing to other duties today." The woman moved about the room hunched over and looking only at the floor. "The Queen has not been seen today, she's been hiding in her chambers so Josie is trying to take her food. I am Emelda." Emelda placed the silver tray down at the boudoirs dining table, she poured fresh, cold water into the goblets and put fresh wildflowers flowers in the marble vase. Emelda then left, bowing as she went and locking the door behind her. They had no chance to ask who had prepared the food, or if it had been tampered with. They also hadn't known whether it was safe to ask or if they would get an honest response.

The meal looked delicious, and they could eat it in the privacy of their room instead of under the gaze of that strange Queen. They were suspicious however, Josie had told them that Isolde spikes guests meals with the drug after all. But they were famished and desperate for some water.

"She's been shut in her room all day, she can't have made an order to spike us?" Katherine stared at the elaborate feast with a watering mouth, she so desperately wanted to dine.

"Maybe that's just what she wants us to think."

"We have to eat something. We'll need our strength."

"But if it is spiked that's it, no going back." They stood and stared at the rich meats and roasted vegetables, there were cream desserts and expensive fruits. It was torture.

"Let me taste some, then we'll know if it's safe for you." Lily offered dutifully.

"No, I need you. I can't escape without you. If we're trying it we commit and try together." They looked back to the meal, they wanted it so badly. Time plodded along and they got hungrier, thirstier, more willing to take the risk. And in turn more anxious about the dangers of eating. They had finished all of their provisions stolen from Queen Isolde's dining table the night before. Katherine swilled and smelt the water, there was no trace of anything. She brought the goblet to her mouth, wetting her lips but not drinking. Lily watched her walk the line between freedom and servitude with hesitant anxiety. Lily sat opposite Katherine and admired the pure water herself,

"Damn it, we'll have to eat eventually." Lily moved to swallow the water but fear stopped her, like hesitating at the top of a cliff, when you want to jump but your body refuses. Katherine brought the water up to her lips and poured it down her throat, it was cold and fresh, it was delightful. With the damage already done she launched into a feeding frenzy, cramming sourdough, sharp cheddar and honeyed gammon into her mouth. Lily watched her, not touching the food herself, she was waiting to see what effects the meal would have upon Katherine first. "How do you feel?"

"Normal... eat, you need it." Lily was still hesitant but drank her water and ate her share anyway. They had not been spiked, the Queen was too preoccupied by her grief to think of her prisoners. If they had known this it would have been a perfect time to escape, they would have been able to travel through the mines unchallenged. They stuffed themselves, not knowing when the next meal would come. Then they spent the afternoon staring out into the wasteland, with nothing to do the hours passed so strangely, the suns movement was the only proof that time still passed. They stayed in that room for days, though it felt like weeks, they were brought a large tray of food twice a day. Each time it came they tormented themselves over whether they could eat it or not and each time they eventually caved. Josie had not come to them in all that time, there was a new woman each time, no rapport could be made, no ally ship.