10

Josie had locked the doors to Katherine and Lily's chambers, then they knew that they were prisoners. They relieved themselves from their sopping dresses, they were glad of the change after having been wearing the gowns since their departure from the mountain. Queen Isolde's wardrobe was all black and skintight, Katherine wore silk and Lily velvet. There was nothing to do in the room, no books or instruments or embroidery. All they could do was pace and stare off the balcony, under the Queen's spiteful gaze, the view went on for miles. From the northern balcony they could see the mass clamouring of bodies in fits of battle, moving in sync like an ocean. To them it was a war of no purpose, a chance for men to slice each other open for hollow glory.

There was a knock at the door, followed by the sound of keys in the lock. Josie entered, her cheeks red from rushing up the turret stairs. She bowed upon entry.

"Queen Isolde has invited you to dine with her." Katherine and Lily looked at each other, they knew that they had no choice but acceptance. They feared that strange, cold woman. After a moment of silence Josie continued. "The Queen has told me to inform you that if you do not accept then you will not be fed." Between them they only had one small hunk of stale bread left and no water.

"Now?" Katherine asked, Josie nodded, her expression was one of pity.

"Follow me," Josie led the women down the twisting stairs of their tower, they walked in silence. Katherine wringed her hands with nerves, and Lily pulled at her hair. The pressure mounted until Lily had to break the heavy silence,

"Who is the Queen at war against?" Lily shook her head,

"What war?" Josie responded as they moved through a darkened corridor.

"Sir Dolan brought us from the battlefield, The Queen has an army." Josie stopped and turned to Lily, scrutinising her face and body language.

"I don't believe you." She seemed afraid anyway. They approached a large set of glass double doors, engraved with angels. The room inside was an elaborate dining room, a carved granite table and iron chairs below a green and gold stain glass window, a depiction of mountains and the sun. The dining room was empty but the table was laden with food, honeyed meats, fruits, breads, cheeses. Three places at the table were laid, one at the head of the table and another setting either side. All the plates, goblets, trays, bowls, cutlery, candelabras were made of elegant crystal. Kathrine and Lily sunk into their seats, they did not touch the food, they thought it would be best to wait for the Queen. They waited and waited, the coloured light from the window faded leaving the room lit only by candlelight. They were starving, the food smelt divine but they feared the consequences of impoliteness too much. They felt it was a test.

After an hour of waiting Queen Isolde burst into the room, the clamour of the doors swinging on their hinges startled Katherine and Lily. The Queen floated across the floor towards the table in an elaborate black lace gown, it had a two foot train that moved like water when she walked.

"Terribly sorry to keep you ladies," The spider Queen pulled up her chair and sunk into it, she poured herself a large goblet of red wine and swallowed a mouthful. "Please help yourselves, have some wine." Isolde cut herself a slice of meat, some bread and cheese. Katherine and Lily hesitantly followed, putting food on their plates and pouring themselves wine. They did not drink, only wetting their lips, they feared losing control in front of Isolde. "Now, tell me flower of the mountain, what brings you to my kingdom?" Isolde swallowed more wine.

"We were travelling to meet my betrothed." Isolde grimaced,

"Marriage is a scam,"

"You were married your majesty?" Lily pressed, pretending to drink from her cup.

"I was... but he had to go." Isolde cracked her ringed knuckles.

"Had to go... you mean..." Katherine stuttered, she had paled a shade.

"Oh yes. Poison, it was a painless death. Far better than he deserved." Isolde took in the shocked, paled expressions of Katherine and Lily with a smirk. "I did what I had to do to survive, pray your betrothed is a gentle man lady Katherine." The Queen's defence was fierce, it suggested a darkness, a weakness.

"I have heard good things about the prince." Isolde raised her glass to Katherine in a strange salute.

"I wish you the best of luck." The Queen drained her glass and poured herself a fresh one, she had an amused smirk on her face. They fell into a silence again, eating their fruits and cheeses. Queen Isolde continued to drink and drink. Lily wanted to ask about the war, she wanted to know whose prisoner they had found themselves as. "Your servant is not wearing serving drab Katherine..." Isolde eyed up Lily, beginning to slur her words.

"Lily is not my servant your majesty, she's a friend." Isolde snorted with suppressed laughter.

"How quaint." Lily pushed her insult down.

"Your majesty, I was wondering, when Sir Dolan discovered us he was at war. What is the purpose of your armies?" Lily stuttered and regretted the words as she was speaking them, Isolde's marble face was impossible to read.

"How diplomatic! An educated scullery maid, whatever next." Lily ground her teeth with irritation.

"I am not a scullery maid!" Lily's voice was raised, it was almost a shout but not quite. The sudden vocalisation startled Katherine who was already on edge, the sound of Lily's words echoed around the chamber. Queen Isolde just raised an eyebrow at Lily.

"Perhaps not yet." Lily dared not speak after her outburst, dared not even move. She sat in her seat like a statue, every muscle tense and taught.

"Your majesty, I too am curious, what are your armies for?" Katherine interjected once the atmosphere had settled.

"Wealth, power, what else could an army be for?" Isolde was purposefully evasive, a blind enemy proved to be an easy enemy. The Queen saw all outsiders as potential threats, until proven otherwise.

"But what war exactly are you fighting?" Katherine pressed.

"Oh, you don't want to hear about that! Battle talk is so droll." Isolde whistled a clear, loud note and Josie came scurrying to her side. They exchanged whispers that neither Katherine nor Lily could make out. Josie ran out of the room and reappeared about five minutes later carrying a long and thin, ornate emerald pipe. It was loaded with a grey powder. Isolde lit the pipe with a match and inhaled deeply, exhaling with relief. The burning drug stank of vinegar and fumes. The Queen offered the pipe to Katherine, then Lily, they both politely refused, she then passed the contraption to Josie who took a deep hit. Josie exhaled with the same note of relief that the Queen had displayed. They both had heavy, sleepy eyes. Isolde smoked some more, meanwhile, seeing an opportunity Lily folded dry foods into her skirts; she took as much as she thought she could carry. Isolde seemed to suddenly realise that her dinner guests were still sat at the table, staring at her dopey expression.

"Take them away damn you." She commanded of Josie who silently bowed and began to walk from the room, Katherine and Lily clambered out of their seats to follow her. Lily held her skirts so that there was a pocket for the stolen food to sit in, as they reached the door there was a clamour behind them. The sound of crystal shattering on a stone floor, they turned to see that the Queen had sunk from her chair onto the ground, taking a tray laden with fruits with her. Isolde just lay on the black granite, smiling up at the ceiling vaults, surrounded by a mess of strawberries.