The Outsider War: Kat and Mack's Return

Chapter 22

Kat's POV.

As I saw Randy put his back against the window, and saw that he put Soda in danger, I became furious. I became crazed with the idea that I had to protect him because no one else could. I looked down at my feet and realized that I had on steel toed boots. Why did I wait until now to think that. I used all my power and will to kick through that glass. Apparently, I had kicked through it so hard that I had knocked Randy out. I looked out that window to find Sodapop getting off the ground with the keys in his hand and Randy passed out on the ground. As I joked about not seeing them in a while, beaming as bright as I could, Sodapop rushed to the door to unlock it. He unlocked it and let me out, hugging me so hard I thought I would pass out. "Kat!" he exclaimed. "Hey Pepsi-Cola!" I replied with a smile. He then started kissing me and butterflies floated in my stomach. I then started to get emotional, crying tears of joy. Two-Bit, Steve, Pony, and Darry all ran up next, hugging me and patting me on the back. "Glad to have you back sis," Two-Bit cackled. I giggled while the tears still were rolling down my face. I didn't get super emotional until I saw Mack. "Mack!" I cried, running up to her to hug her. "Oh I thought I would never see you again!" Mack cried back. We hugged for a long time crying tears of joy, as we reunited. "I want you to know that I loved you!" Mack cried as she pushed back from me. "I will never let you go like that again!" "It's okay," I reassured her. "I love you too!"

We all just stood there for a few moments, until Two-Bit walked towards Randy, who still layed unconscious. "What do we do with this knucklehead?!" he cackled. "I think we should just put him in his car and leave him to go home for himself," Darry suggested. We all nodded, helping to put Randy back in his car. When we were done, Soda put his arm around me and said, "We better get going before he wakes up." "Yeah," I replied. Sodapop jumped in the front seat of our Stingray. Mack and I jumped in the front as well, as Pony and Two-Bit jumped in the back. Darry and Steve got in Darry's work truck and drove back to the Curtis house. "So, where to Kit-Kat?" I sat for a minute, thinking about how much I loved my greaser friends. How much I loved Sodapop and how much Mack loved Ponyboy. How good things would be if we could just stay there all the time. "Home," I replied after thinking. "So back to your apartment?" Soda asked. I looked back at Mack and she nodded, starting to get what I meant. "No," I replied. "To your house." Soda looked at me confused-like. "But, that would mean..." Soda trailed off. "Yep," I continued as we drove off into the starry night. Here it goes, I thought. The moment of truth. "We're moving in."