The Outsider War: Kat and Mack's Return

Chapter 11

Mack's POV.

I sat on the couch in shock with my mouth wide open, looking at Kat and Sodapop kissing. I coulnd't believe that he had just showed up and kissed her like that. I mean, what are the odds?! The disappointing thing was, I was secretly hoping that it was Ponyboy. I mean, Kat just kind of jinxed it by saying what would I do if it was him. But, no, it HAD to be the love of HER life, Sodapop. I never can catch a break!

Anyways, I just stared at them in awe of what had just happened. Finally after what seemed like eternity, Kat pulled back. "Sodapop," she said in awe. "What are you doing here?" "I couldn't stay away," he exclaimed. "Kat, ever since you showed up at my front door that day, I haven't got my mind off of you. I couldn't believe that after all this time you were back. Yeah, I acted like a jerk. I was mad when you never wrote back to me and Pony. We all were, but the difference with me was they got over it and I didn't, nor did Pony. We loved you guys more than anything." I butted in for a second when he brought up Pony. "If Pony really loved me more than anything, he wouldn't be with that sick Cherry, and he would be with me. He would be right here with me right now and come talk to me just like you are doing to Kat." "Well actually Mack-" somebody cut Sodapop off. "I am." Ponyboy stepped into the doorway, and I stood up, surprised. He looked down all shy like, as he usually did around girls. It was the same way he looked down when he was around me two years ago, and I loved it.

"Pony?" I questioned. I was so confused as to why Pony would be here. I thought he was angry with me, furious even. He wasn't here for me, was he? "Hey Mack," he replied. He came and sat down on our leather couch like he was at home. Kat lingered towards her bedroom, once her and Sodapop's makeout session was over. "Let's go talk Soda," she called. "I think these two need to talk it out alone as well." I nodded as Kat took Soda's hand, and they both shuffled to her room and closed the door.

We sat on the couch for a few awkward moments when I finally tried to make conversation. "So," I began. "What brings you here, Pony?" He sat there, looking down and twiddling his thumbs nervously. "I think you know why I'm here, Mack," he stated. I sighed and looked down as well, because I did know why he was here. "Pony, I know what you're thinking," I replied. "We can't Pony." He looked down like he was ashamed of himself. "But, why Mack?" I sighed and gave him a sad look. "You hurt me too much, Pony. I can't keep doing this, breaking up, and then getting back together. My heart can't handle it any more. Pony we're apart for a reason." Pony had a way of expressing himself, and that was always through his words and writing. He was an amazing writer and always spoke with such a precision of language that he sounded like a famous poet. What Pony said back to me made my heart melt like ice cream on a hot sidewalk in the summer. "Mack," he began. "I may not have acted the way I should have towards you, and I may have made wrong decisions. I may have been the biggest jerk on this planet that day, and it might have looked like I changed, but Mack, I'm still your Ponyboy. I still love you. Believe or not, I took you leaving the hardest, and Johnny and Dallas leaving me for good around that time didn't help. So yeah, I was depressed and angry with you, but that was only because I loved you. I have never felt about anyone the way I feel about you. It's so deep that I can't explain it. It is so much deeper than whatever I had with Cherry. I need you to understand, Mack. Just please try, okay? Try for me, the one who loves you, because Mack, I know deep down inside that kind and compassionate heart, that you feel the same for me." He was right. I did love him, and sadly, there was absolutely nothing I could do about it.