The Outsider War: Kat and Mack's Return

Chapter 21

Mack's POV.

So, here we were after all this fighting and Pony tells us to stop. I love him and all, but really? What could he say that would change our minds. "What are we doing this for?" Everyone just looked at one another, confused at what he meant. Couldn't he see? We were doing this because we hated each other, because we couldn't stand the thought of losing to one another, because we both had things that each other wanted. Ponyboy continued, "We hate each other, and I understand that. But, what good will this do? This won't prove nothing! We will all still be who we are, we will still be greasers and Socs. We will all still be the same. The only difference is, that we could lose somebody in the midst of all this. Don't you guys remember what happened last time we got into it like this? We were all fighting because each of us had lost someone. You guys lost Bob and we lost Dally and Johnny. We won the rumble last time, but did that really change anything? I mean here we are still fighting about the same stupid things two years later! What's the point of all this?" We still looked at one another, thinking really hard about what Pony had just said, and it made sense. What were we doing this for? What was the point? Randy began to speak, "You may be right grease, but you're not gonna change my mind. You want the girl? You gotta fight me for her?" "Why do you want her anyways, Randy?" Soda interuppted. "Why do you even have her? Just to get a stab back at us?" Randy sighed and sucked in the tears that he was about to shed. "She broke my heart," he said. "And she needs to pay, and the only way to make that happen is to hurt all of you and make her watch." "That's not gonna fill the void of heartbreak that you're feeling," Pony replied. "It won't change a dang thing, Randy." "So, what do you want for your little speech?" Randy said sarcastically. "You want me to let the girl go? Well, that's not happening!" "No," Pony said. "I just want you to consider what you're doing." Randy sighed, and all of a sudden took his keys out of his pocket. Cherry interuppted, "Randy don't you dar-" "Shut up Cherry!" Randy shot back. "Just go on home! All of ya!" he yelled to his Soc friends. All the Socs got in Cherry's red Stingray and drove off into the midnight road, not even looking back. I wish I could see the own shock upon my face, because I was in complete surprise. Was Randy surrendering? What was going on?

Suddenly, he took keys out of his pocket. "Here," he said innoncently. "Take them." He leaned up against the car, dangling the keys in the air. Sodapop ran up to Randy and tried to grab the keys, but just as he did, Randy grabbed him and put him in a headlock. All of us jumped towards him trying to get to Randy, but he pulled out a large switchblade and put it against Soda's neck. "One step closer, and he gets a nasty haircut," he exclaimed. "Randy don't do this!" Pony yelled. "Try to stop me!" Randy said crazily. I could tell that he was crazed and mad, so crazed and mad that he was willing to kill someone for the satisfaction of getting away with hurting us greasers. Just as he said that, though, the glass behind him shattered, and he fell to the ground. Kat pulled her foot back in the window, and popped out her head, making sure Randy was unconcious. "Hey guys!" she joked while smiling. "It's been a while!"