The Outsider War: Kat and Mack's Return

Chapter 13

Mack's POV.

Sodapop and Kat busted out of the room, right after Ponyboy told me how he felt. Sodapop put on his DX cap and opened the door. "Where are we going?" Kat asked. I thought the same thing. "Yeah where ARE ya'll going?!" Ponyboy got up off the couch, as did I. "We're all going to Two-Bit's place," Sodapop explained. "But why?" Ponyboy asked. "You'll all see later," Soda replied. Pony and I shrugged our shoulders as we ran outside with the other two. Sodapop started to walk down the road, the way they got here, when Kat stopped him. "It's less dangerous if we go in my car." Soda nodded, not arguing, and we all jumped in the Stingray.

As we drove down the road, Pony looked up at the stars above and stretched his hand out the car. "You know Mack," he said. "What I said is true. I do love you, always have, always will." I wanted so badly to just say, "I love you too," or "I want to be with you," but I couldn't. Life would be too hard going striaght from being a Soc to a greaser. I used to get picked on all the time as a kid, I couldn't go back to that life. Not now since I was on the path to becoming something special. "Pony, I can't," I said. "I'm just now part of something special. I'm a Soc. I have money, friends, a nice apartment. I can't go back. I won't be something special if I do. I will just be plain old Mack. Not rich, not popular, no nice house." "But, you are something special," Pony replied. "You always have been! Can't you see Mack, you don't need any of those things! If you could look at what's right in front of you, your friends, your family, your blessed life. Mack, I understand that all I need is my family and you. Why can't you understand that too?" I started to cry. I didn't want to cry, but I ended up with my head on his shoulder, driving down the road to Two-Bit's place. "I know Pony," I cried. "I'm sorry, I just- I just-" "I know." he whispered while rubbing my back. "I know."

We finally got to Two-Bit's house. We walked into the shabby, abandoned house, only to see Two-Bit with a beer in his hand, watching cartoons. "Hey Two-Bit," Sodapop called. Two-Bit jumped up when he noticed us and said, "Well, well, well, what brings you losers here?" "Two-Bit, show us what you showed me last night," Soda ordered. "What the hell are you talking about Soda?" Two-Bit replied. You could tell he was reeling pickled. "Two-Bit you know what I'm talking about!" Kat began to get annoyed with the waiting. "Quit beating around the bush and just say it Sodapop!" "They're birth certificates girls," he replied. "Your birth certificates."