The Outsider War: Kat and Mack's Return

Chapter 8

Kat's POV.

"Umm..." I stuttered. What could I say? If I said no, Sodapop would surely rat me out. I had to tell Randy the truth and somehow find a way for him not to tell the other Socs. "Well, I-" Sodapop cut me off. "She doesn't really know us. She doesn't even know my name. I just know hers because I have to look at her license when I pump her gas and change her car's oil." I looked at Soda with disbelief. Had he just taken up for me? I had to be dreaming. "Oh," Randy said. "Well, keep your paws off of her! And the fight? Not even worth it! We're out of here!" Randy put his arm around me and we started to walk away. "Sorry Kat. I can't believe I even thought that you would know those nasty greasers," Randy scoffed. I looked back at Soda and mouthed the words, "Thank you." He didn't mouth anything back but instead smiled. It was the first time he had smiled at me like that in a long time, and I had missed it.

Later that evening, Randy and I went to my apartment. Mack wasn't there, but I wasn't worried. I was sure she was fine. I invited Randy to come sit on our couch with me and thought that we might could talk for a little while. Randy brought up Sodapop and the guys again. "I was really relieved when that greaser said that you didn't really know him. He's such a loser. A high school dropout. They say his brother's real smart but he doesn't seem like it to me. He's not too good looking either." Randy laughed and kept on. "And their older brother could really be something if he wasn't so worried about them two. Oh and the other two that was with the middle one? They always try to act like their so tough, but their just a bunch of-" My cheeks got real hot and I cut him off, annoyed about what he was saying. "I don't want to waste our night talking about them. Let's do something else." Randy smiled at me seductively and laughed. "Oh okay," he scoffed. He leaned in really close as our lips touched. I had to say, it was nice. He wasn't that bad, but not NEARLY as good as Sodapop. No wonder Cherry was sneaking around with Ponyboy without tellng anyone! Greasers were obviously way better kissers. We kept kissing for what seemed like eternity. I tried to focus on how nice it was to be kissing Randy, but I couldn't. As much as I hated it, the whole time we were kissing, I was only thinking about one person. Sodapop Curtis.