Chapter 18

After a lot of tears were shed, Greg finally pulled away from me and said, "we should probably go get your friend now. I've been crying for like 15 minutes," he chuckled despite it being a very sad situation.

"Yeah, you're probably right, let's go properly introduce you to Kate," I said with a smile on my face as I clapped Greg on the back.

We started walking in the direction Kate had gone in, but with every step I took there was a ringing in my ears that only got louder and louder. Greg, who had gone a little ahead of me, didn't notice my face scrunch up in pain, or when I grabbed my ears to make it stop. Only when I let out a small grunt of pain and fell to my knees, did he turn around to look at me.

"Jack, what's wrong?" Greg's face was full of concern, but I could barely see it. Reality was going in and out of focus, and any words that could have been said, were lost to the incessant ringing. Flashes of this... creature came in and out of my mind, they were the only images I could see clearly. I was getting dizzy, and could no longer hold my body upright. I fell onto something soft and warm. And then I blacked out.

                           ~* * *~

I opened my eyes, but all I saw was black. I thought I was blind until I looked down and saw that I could still see my pale, boney hands.

"Greg?" I shouted out into the endless black. All I got in response was my own voice reverberating back to me.

Where the hell am I?

"You're in your mind, Jack," a voice said dripping with extra venom to emphasize my name. It came seemingly from nowhere and everywhere all at once.

That voice... It's the same one I heard at Jamie's school. I had thought it was Pitch at the time, but hearing it again I know it's not. It still sounded all too familiar, but I couldn't place where I'd heard it before.

"Who's there?" I questioned the sinister sounding voice.

"You are," it said back.

I turned around and around, trying to make out anything in the inky blackness that surrounded me. I made one last dizzying round before I saw it. A form was starting toward me from the shadows. The closer it got, the more it looked like... me. Fully in view now, I could see that it was unmistakably me, but there was something off. He seemed darker in manner with the way he marred my face with a crooked smile.

"What... are you?" I asked, astonished.

"It's no fun if I tell you that now, is it?" His smirk stretched up sickeningly.

"Why am I here?" I asked through gritted teeth. Anger was building in my chest with every unanswered question.

"No need to get upset, Jack. I'm here to help you. I can give you what you need." My name came off his lips laced with honey and menace at the same time.

"What do you mean help? I don't need your help."

"On the contrary, Mr. Frost. Because I know something that you do not," the other me stated in a way that reminded me of a fox, slinking towards it's prey. It sent chills up my spine.

I couldn't quite figure out if I was annoyed because he seemed like the incarnate of pure evil, or because I was actually interested in what he had to say.

"I don't care what you know, let me out of where ever the hell this is."

"Oh, come now. Don't be like that, I know you do." He paused, as if deciding whether or not to reveal something. In the end, he settled on the former. "I know a lot more about you than you think."

That was the last straw. I gripped my staff so tight, one might have expected it to snap in half. "You have one more chance to give me an answer, then I blast you."

"Blast away. I'm untouchable, Jack."

My eyes narrowed and burned with raw intensity. "Explain. Now." I pointed my staff right at the center of his chest, yet he seemed unfazed.

"Let's making this a little more... interesting."

"What do you mean interesting?" My knuckles were a brilliant white, like i had gripped my staff so hard that my bones were breaking through my skin.

"Let's start with a puzzle of words." An even more sinister grin than before appeared on his face. "The more you can see, the less of you there will be. When you're all gone, under the dawn I will be."

What the hell?

"What the hel-"

Before I could finish my curse word, there was a flash of white that I had to close my eyes against. When I opened them again, the inky black world and the devilish version of me, were gone.