Chapter 14

"Hold out your arm" Pitch said as he came toward me with bandages and gauze in hand.

"What? No," I said as I did the opposite of what he told me and pulled my arm closer to my chest.

"Jack, I just want to make sure they don't get infected."

I didn't want bandages because I liked to look at the cuts. In a sick and twisted way, I thought they were beautiful. I wanted to see the one thing on me I thought looked good.

Pitch heard my thoughts and sighed, "you may like them now but if they get infected, they'll be the opposite of beautiful."

After a moment more of hesitation, I reluctantly stuck my arm out for him.

I watched as he wrapped my arm carefully and gently. It was strange to think of Pitch and the word 'gentle' in the same sentence. If someone a month ago had told me that Pitch would ever turn good, I would laugh in their faces and locked them in a mental institute for the sake of their sanity.

"I can still hear your thoughts, Jack"

Pitch's voice startled me out of my thoughts and heat started to creep it's way up my face; I forgot he could hear me.

"It's okay I won't take offense to anything you think about me. I know I wasn't exactly a good person," Pitch explained as he finished wrapping my arm.

"Thanks," I said uncomfortably. "Can I ask you something?"

"Sure, what is it?"

"Why haven't you told the other guardians about me yet? The cutting, I mean"

Pitch thought for a moment before responding with, "because it's not my secret to tell. My job is to help the children in need, in a way you're one of those children, Jack." He let that sink in before continuing. "It would do nothing to help your condition if I told them."

It was true, my condition would probably only get worse if the guardians knew. They were the one thing in my life that was unchanging and solid; I didn't want them to treat me differently because I cut.

Suddenly, another question came to mind, one that I didn't want to voice aloud, but guessed that he probably heard, anyway.

"What's so bad about cutting? I mean, I'm not killing myself or hurting anyone else, so why does it matter to you?"

Pitch thought a little harder this time and apparently wanted to answer my question with another question. "Let me ask you this, how would you feel if Jamie or one of the other guardians started to cut?"

I never answered his question, the words wouldn't go past my throat. Instead, I broke down crying. Pitch pulled me into a hug and just let me get it all out. Having let no one ever hold me before while I was in such a state, I felt strange. Nevertheless, I let it happen, for I was so very tired of being alone.

A/N: So sorry this chapter is short x/ I had a bit of writer's block with this one, but I will update soon xoxo.