A Feathery Incident

Bounce. Bounce. Bounce. "Ughhhh" I groaned whilst bouncing a ball against the wall repeatedly. Brianna was out with Rolanda, and because of my outburst in the shopping mall I wasn't allowed shopping for a week withuot mum. I was so bored it was unbelievable. 'Wow I really don't have many friends, I'm actually missing my sister' I thought. The boredom was unbearable, I'd been bouncing that damn ball against the wall for what felt like an hour. "Ugghhhhhh" I wailed to myself.

"Can you stop with the noises Quinn, some of us have stuff to do and I'm starting to question my sanity" my mum yelled upstairs.

"I'm sorry if my crippling loneliness is bothering you" I groaned downstairs back at her.

"Well it is so quit it" She retorted.

I could practically see the smirk on her face as she said that. I slumped down onto my floor and sighed. I removed my phone from my jean short's pocket and scrolled through my tumblr feed. I reblogged a few posts and laughed at a gif of a cat riding a tortoise, then I pushed the home button and went onto my contacts to see if there was anyone I could hang out with. Of course I'd already thought of Nathan, but I was pretty sure that day he was going to his grandparents' farm. I called a few people, surprise surprise they were all busy. 'Why does everyone have a social life except me?' I thought. I went onto Facebook and scrolled, as usual. I saw that Nathan had made a status.

It read: "Going to my grandparents' farm on Sunday, because milking cows and shovelling shit is soooo much fun."

I laughed then continued scrolling, "Wait a second" I then scrolled back and reread the status, "Sunday! He said Sunday! Finally some company!" I somewhat yelled.

"Talking to yourself again are we Quinn?"

My mum poked her head around my door. I began putting on my shoes and announced "SUNDAY MUM! Your sanity is restored I'm heading out BYE!!!" I shouted the last part as I grabbed my phone and left the room.

"I'll never understand that child" I heard my mum say from upstairs as I ran down the hallway.

"LOVE YOU TOO MUM" I yelled as I left the house.

I walked out of the garden and petted Charlie on my way, I then happily strolled up to Nathan's house and knocked on the door.

His mum answered and smiled, "Hello Quinn" she said eerily happily, I swear this woman never had a bad day.

"Hi Miss Sage, is Nathan there? I wanna hang out with him before he goes to his grandparents'" I smiled a much less sickly sweet smile at her.

"Yes he's just tending to the chickens at the moment, he'll be in shortly so you can go on through to his room" she smiled. Shocker.

I went upstairs and into Nathans room. I hadn't been in his room many times, but then Nathan was a very secretive person. I turned around and sat on the bed, which was covered in a Star Wars duvet, at which I chuckled at. A chicken waddled into the room and I looked at it with confusion. 

'Wow Nathan's chicken obsession is a little bit creepy' I thought to myself as I reached down and firmly lifted the chicken onto my lap. I began petting it, I noticed how tame it was, almost abnormally tame one would think. I was interrupted from my thoughts when I noticed the pressure on my lap increased. The chicken was becoming larger, and I gasped in shock as it grew right before my eyes. It wriggled and wormed around rapidly, I closed my eyes almost as a reflex, until it suddenly stopped moving and became completely still. I hesitantly began to open my eyes, flickering them until they suddenly shot open in horror. I froze. I opened my mouth to scream but produced no sound.

Sitting on my lap... Was a naked... And very feathery... Nathan...

Brianna

It was the weekend finally and most people had forgot about the incident involving me peeing myself or they simply didn't wanna get beaten up by my sister with a crowbar. The fair wasn't until tomorrow but Rolanda asked if me and Quinn wanted to go shopping to get some things to wear tomorrow, I thought it was a good idea but Quinn wasn't allowed to go shopping without mum due to she had and argument with one of the shopping assistants about a product which she was trying to return because it had a rip in and the shop wouldn't take it back. Lets jut say it didn't end well and now she is banned from shopping for a week. So me and Rolanda promised to get her something while we we're out.

I was walking to Dunkin' Donuts to meet her when I saw a poster about the fair which I decided to have a look at, apparently there was gonna be haunted houses and something called the destroyer which looked like you'd get sick after 3 seconds of being on it. I just laughed, I was quite excited for tomorrow. I just got to KFC when I saw Rolanda who had brought someone else with them, Luke. Shit, Quinn had to shout at the shopping assistant didn't she, plus why couldn't mum take away her TV privileges or her phone like a normal person. I really needed my sister.

Rolanda came running up to me and cast me into a big hug, she had a huge grin on her face. "HEY!" She squealed, "I hope you don't mind, but Luke was wondering if he could come shopping with us today, and his little brother, if you don't mind?"

When she said little brother I didn't understand who she meant, but then I saw him, a boy, who slowly and nervously peered from behind Luke's back. He looked around 11, he had a small frame and chocolate brown, curly hair. One thing made me take a step back though... he was.. normal? He wasn't fey, or a half-breed, don't get me wrong it was a relief, but I still was puzzled.

Luke saw me confused and said, "He's my brother from my adopted family, that's why we don't look like each other", he said in a low voice which sent shivers up my spine. Rolanda probably thought about the facial features not looking like each other, but I knew that he meant breed. That also cast some more thoughts into my head, why would the fey send a half-breed, who was adopted, after us? It seemed like that would be the last thing that they would choose.

I then looked at Rolanda and put on a fake half smile, "Um sure, yeah, I don't mind", I spoke in a neutral tone, making sure Rolanda bought my expression. When in reality I wanted to run as far away from him as physically possible, and stay there.

QUINN

-

BRIANNA

Rolanda had suggested we try out some shops in the mall, like Newlook and Forever 21 which I agreed to. Luke mostly trailed behind us, which made me even more nervous than if he was beside us. But on the other hand, his brother was very talkative towards Rolanda which left me and Luke to talk. I really didn't want to, in fact that would be my last option at that moment, but he did apparently.

"I can explain if you let me", he said as Rolanda left to go to the cashier with Luke's little brother, who I found out was called Davey. I just stood there, not talking or looking at him. He decided to take the chance to explain, "Right I know you know the truth and have.. it. But whatever it is you think I'm doing that is wrong, I've just moved here from Canada okay? My 'real' family ditched me at birth and I was adopted. My adopted family think I'm.. well.. Human, with a few weird flaws. I wasn't... sent here by anyone, seriously I--"

Thats when I suddenly butted in, "Thats what you want us to think you.. abomination!" I hissed quietly so no one but him could hear. His expression changed to a completely devastated one, he looked utterly defeated.

At that moment I thought he was going to give up and just leave me alone, but his face became determined and apparently he decided that isn't what he was going do. "Right, I know you don't like me but--"

"WHY WOULD I LIKE YOU?! I DESPISE YOU! STAY AWAY FROM ME!" I demanded, a little louder than I should of because I noticed we were getting some.... awkward and unwanted looks off of people.

"Right look, can I just talk to your sister, she might understand better, please?" He begged, his eyes full of sadness.

I ignored his sorrowful expression and threatened, "If you go anywhere near my sister I will cut off your frigging tail and shove it down your throat!" I knew it was a little harsh as I said it, but couldn't stop the words pouring out. I think he thought that I meant it too, because he shut up after that.

We toured a few more shops and ended up in Newlook where I remembered my promise to Quinn. I picked out some grey skinny jeans and a Doctor Who top which I thought she'd love. I also saw a stripy see-through blouse, which I got for myself, along with a black vest for underneath. I finally decided on some plain black leggings, trying to find some skinny jeans to fit my big hips would take ages and I just wanted to get out of here, and away from Luke.

When I purchased my stuff I walked towards Rolanda, who had about 11 bags and was clearly struggling to carry them all. Luke took some of the bags and carried them for her, and as he did so she said in a cheery voice, "Guess what, Luke said he can come to the fair with us!"

Wait.. WHAT?!!