You're My Baby

"You know you're my baby, I'm not just in it for the ride."

"Girl quit, playin' wit me." I glanced up from my book as my cousin hit her boyfriend August upside the head with a pillow.

"Well you gon' stop acting stupid and make me some food?" She said with a playful smile on her face as she climbed into his lap.

"If I'm makin food for only you then what I'm eatin'?" He asked raising a eyebrow as his hands found their way to her waist.

She bit her lip and leaned down whispering something in his ear, I could only assume by the expression on his face that it was somethin' nasty.

I rolled my eyes and returned to my book, I was reading "November Blues" it was a book about a girl that got pregnant but her baby's father died.

I really liked it so far it might be one of my favorites by Sharon M. Draper. The book was a sequel to the battle of Jericho, I hadn't read the first book yet though not that you really needed to, to read the sequel.

Just when I was really getting into the book, I could hear smacking noises. I looked up to see August and my cousin kissing like they were never going to see each other again.

Twisting up my face, I cleared my throat. They just ignored me and kept kissing, setting down my book I
smirked and grabbed a pillow chucking it at Rae. It hit hear in the head with a loud thump.

I smiled satisfied and picked back up my book.
"What's your problem Jazmine you don't see I'm busy." I heard her say in an annoyed tone.

"Well can you you be a little more quiet? I'm trying to read here and I would appreciate it if I didn't hear the sound a pigs make when they eat every five seconds. Thanks." I said with a fake smile.

"You're just mad because don't no boy want you." She said smirking.

"Cute Rae, act brand new in front of your boo for this week." I mirrored her smirk as August looked confused.

"Shut yo fat ass up you oughta to be running around instead of reading." She spat back.

That hit home, she knew how insecure I was about my appearance yet she still said something. I should be use to it by now since she always acts like a different person when her boyfriends around then when it's just us.

I nodded slowly and didn't dare look at August as I felt my face heat up. I grabbed my book and walked past them, ignoring Rae's "oh she'll be fine."

I set my book on the little dresser in the guest bedroom I was staying in and started going through my suitcase for a change of clothes, I grabbed a nice black summer dress. It was long but not to long and I loved the way it fit on me.

I decided to take a quick shower then put my dress on, after fixing my hair and putting on my sandals I was ready.

Walking back out to the living room I saw them in the same spot they were before I left but half dressed.

I rolled my eyes and left the house, slamming the door behind me to let Rae know I was angry.

I was walking down the stairs of the porch I noticed a silver car pulling it. Inside it was an older boy that looked just like August.

"My brother in there?" He called from the window.

"Yeah but him and Rae are a little 'busy'" I said walking closer to his car.

"Ight I'll just tell him I'll be back later then." He said more to himself.

I nodded and gave him a little smile as started walking up the sidewalk. I kept walking until I heard the tires of a car  coming closer to me.

"Hey, where you headed?" He asked as he pulled up next to me.

"Nowhere in particular...just walking." I said with a shrug.

"Well I ain't got nothing to do, come chill wit me. You hungry?" He asked as he rubbed his chin.

"Not really..." I said scratching the back of my neck awkwardly.

I didn't know him but he was offering to 'chill' that seemed a little off to me.

"Come on and get in stop makin shit weird, I don't gon bite or nothin'" he said chucking at my discomfort.

I was hesitant at first but eventually agreed, I figured if he was going to do something to me I'd just kick him. I walked over to the passenger seat of the car and slid in, almost immediately I was hit with the smell of cologne.

"So how you know 'ol girl my cousin wit?" He asked not taking his eyes off the road.

"I'm her cousin." I said as I looked down at my lap.

"oh your the cousin August told me about."

This took me off guard, "he talks about me?" I asked confused.

"He's mentioned she got a cousin that reads and writes all the time. Said you were pretty chill and ain't talk much." He said shrugging his shoulders.

I nodded still surprised that I was actually mentioned, "Yeah that's me."

"So why was you just gonna go on a walk?" He asked.

"Rae was being rude because I told her  to stop kissing August so loud, I also mentioned her bad habit of only keeping a boy for about a week." I said bitterly as I stared out the window.

He just nodded taking it in I assume. "Why can't she keep a man longer than a week?" He finally asked.

"Because she has commitment issues she always cheat or finds a bullshit excuse to break up." I said honestly.

"Man that's fucked up, she better not pull that shit on August he love that girl. She's his first real girlfriend." He said shaking his head.

I didn't say anything after that, I couldn't understand how any boy could fall in love with someone like Rae. She lies, cheats, and just plays boys left and right. Yet boys still chase after her. She was just in it for the ride not the long run and that pissed me off.

August seemed like a good guy but I knew in the end he was just going to be someone she hurt and could give less than two shits about.