Chapter Twenty-One: Call Me Ethel

Anybody else who happened to be skulking at Traitor's Gate could only have guessed at what had swooped over their heads

Anybody else who happened to be skulking at Traitor's Gate could only have guessed at what had swooped over their heads. Was it a lost condor trying to find a way back to its home in the Andes? Or an inexperienced hang-glider dropping from the skies? More imaginative people might have thought it was an enormous daddy long legs. But Archie Flaunt knew it was none of these things. He had studied the creatures that had stolen Marigold. The flash of black and white stripe and tartan that had just streaked over the wall could only be them. He had told Lolly what to look out for. But as usual, he had no idea whether she'd been listening.

'At last!' he sighed as he began to unfasten his mackintosh. He indicated that Lolly should do the same. Under their coats they were wearing the red and gold uniforms of Beefeaters.

'But I didn't see her!' squealed Lolly as she threw her mac to the ground.

'Come on!' barked Archie.

A couple of ravens perching above them turned their heads at the sound of his voice. He felt their eyes on him. They made him uneasy. It was as if they were asking what he was doing at their home. He put his hand in the uniform pocket and felt for the manacles he'd removed from his suit jacket. His fingers touched the metal and he felt calmer. He looked at his wife. She was miserably wringing out the ends of her hair.

'Lolly!' he hissed. He jerked his head in the direction of the gate. They hurried towards it.

*

Lady Artifice stepped out of the light filled cabinet. She managed to balance herself at the top of the incredibly long ladder. She stared into The Black Flame sticking out of her chest. A hundred-year-old woman looked back at her from each of the diamond's faces. Her hair was now white. There was only the faintest flicker of purple light inside the stone. She stroked it.

'Why won't you burn brighter, my heart?' she asked. She looked down through the steam to the Crusher's thrashing jaws. 'How many diamonds do you need?' Far beneath her, she saw Whatnot and Jet held firmly in the grabber's grasp. They were tiny. 'If this is my end, I'll finish them all before me', she told herself. She tightly gripped the remote device in her hand. The blue veins under its skin almost popped out. 'I am in control', she whispered. The words comforted her.

*

Standing in the moat, Marigold stared up at the dark sky. She was hoping to catch sight of Bert returning at any minute. She saw that Professor Bloom was looking up at it too. The Professor moved her gaze to her watch. She turned to Marigold with a confused expression on her face.

'This must be wrong', she said, indicating the watch. 'Water in the works. The sun should've risen hours ago this time of year.'

'It can't', Marigold replied miserably. 'The light leaking from the Diamond Crusher is deflecting it away.'

'That diabolical meddler!' cried the Professor. 'She'll upset the ecology of the entire planet!'

'She's going to win, Professor.'

'No', the woman said firmly. 'And you must call me Ethel', she added after a moment.

Marigold took in the smile on her face. She just about managed to give her one back.

'Your hair is still dripping', said Ethel. 'Bert would never forgive me if you caught a nasty chill.'

'I remember now. I was trapped under the water. He pulled me out.'

'He did indeed.'

'And you! I thought it was a dream. Something was banging on my chest. It was you! You were kneeling next to me when I woke up. You saved me!'

Ethel looked away from her. 'I... er...' she began, struggling for words.

'Don't be embarrassed!' exclaimed Marigold. I haven't even thanked you.'

'Not necessary', said the Professor quickly. 'Now, let's get that hair tied up before you catch your death'.

She rummaged in the pockets of her wet bottle green jacket and pulled out something. 'Experience has taught me never to leave home without string', she said. As she brought the long piece closer to her, Marigold noticed there were black ink marks on it.

'What they for?' she asked touching one of them.

'Ah. They are where I have measured things. Plants, small creatures. When I'm back from my field trips, I measure the distance between the marks, you see. And then I have the heights and lengths in actual inches for my studies'

Marigold nodded.

That's clever.

Ethel began to pull Marigold's hair up and away from the back of her neck. She swiftly tied it into a long thin top-knot. Being wet, it stood up and only curved downwards slightly at its end. It looked like a question mark above her head.

Marigold stared at the empty sky again. She felt panic pushing down on her once more. 'I'll never see Bert or Jet or Benjamin again', she said.

Don't start crying again, Marigold!

'Oh my dear!' declared Ethel. The Professor pulled her to her large bosom. She smelt of soil and the river. But with her arms around her, things felt a tiny bit better.

Marigold remembered what she should've done. 'Thank you, Ethel', she said quietly.

Next Chapter: The Truth Told at the Tower