Chapter Seven : A Change of Clothes and A Change of Scene

Marigold had woken to find a new lock had been fitted to the library door

Marigold had woken to find a new lock had been fitted to the library door. There was no sign of the dog or the thieves. She tried to stop herself from worrying about Bert and Jet by building a tower from the sturdiest books. She wanted to see the outside world from the windows at the top of the library wall. She'd spent the last hour sitting at the top of the tower gazing at the moon. Now she was worried. Worried and bored.

A key turned in the lock and Jet padded into the room.

'Where've you been?' she asked as she heard the key turn again behind him.

'For a walk that I never had', he replied.

'They let you out for walks?'

'I may have been enhanced, petal, but I still... you know.'

'What?'

'Call of nature', he replied.

'Oh. I see'.

'I used t go out on t' moors by me' sen. But her ladyship thought I was attracting unwanted attention.'

'How?'

'Forgot I'm not supposed to talk.'

Marigold nodded.

'Any road, Whatnot's all set to tek me out when she starts yelling for him from t'attic.'

'Hang on. I'm coming down', called Marigold. She began to half climb, half slide down the book tower.

'Careful!' warned Jet.

Just in time, she avoided banging her head on the chandelier and sprang out of the way of a falling volume.

'Go on', she smiled at Jet as she landed at his side.

'Well, I follow him up there and she's on at him to repair t' hole at top o' t'Crusher'

'Where the diamond light was escaping?'

'Spot on. She doesn't seem to have noticed I've crept in. She's got that Black thingummy ...'

'Flame.'

'Aye. It's sticking out of her chest. But she's attached a chain to it. Looks like an enormous pendant.'

'Did Whatnot fix the leak?'

Jet pulled a face showing Marigold he didn't think much of Whatnot's efforts. 'When I snuck up steps at side o ' t ' glass cabinet, he's wobbling away on t' ladder and hammering this thin sheet of metal over hole. Even I know that's not going to keep out diamond light.'

'Didn't Lady Artifice say anything?'

'She couldn't really see what he were doing. And when she shouts "Is it fixed?", he calls back "As good as new"!'

Marigold and Jet looked at each other and laughed.

'I don't envy them lads their graft tonight.'