I

"What's up, big homie?" Amaru asked his five year old son Killian who approached him at his car. "You had a good day?"

"Yeah, it was good." He said as he loosened his tie on his school uniform.

"That's good." Amaru replied. "Listen, I have to drop you off at Big Mama's house because I have a client in about an hour."

Killian shrugged. "I wanted to go to her house anyway."

"Kick me to the curb, huh? Get yo little ass in the car." Amaru teased. The two of them got into the car and Amaru began to drive in the direction of his mother's house.

Amaru was a single father who owned a tattoo shop. Being a father and a business owner was not easy, but he was able to manage thanks to his mother, brother, brother's girlfriend, and little cousin. Killian's mother was an unfit parent, so he didn't live her and he got to visit her every other weekend—if she was acting responsibly. She's mainly concerned with partying and getting "flewed" out by random men.

Amaru made a vow to raise his son right and he's been doing a great job so far—thanks to the village. Killian was a smart five year old who just started kindergarten. Amaru didn't have to worry too much because his brother's girlfriend, Mya was the school's guidance counselor and she was able to keep an eye on Killian.

"My teacher told me to give you this paper, daddy." Killian said, holding up the orange piece of paper. "Something about a PTA meeting? Anyway, she said you gotta fill it out and put the time you wanna meet next week. I have to turn it in by Wednesday."

"Just put it on the seat for me. I'll look at it later, little man." Amaru told him.

"I think I'm gonna throw it away. My teacher is pretty and I already made her my girl. You might try to steal her away from me." Killian said.

Amaru laughed loudly. "Man, please. Stop that."

Killian raised his eyebrows. "I'm serious."

"I hear you, bro." Amaru replied with a smirk. His son definitely had a lot of personality.

-

"This shit is fucking fire." Amaru's client said as he studied his finished sleeve in the mirror. "You never disappoint."

"I'm glad I could deliver." Amaru replied. He was definitely one of the best and well known tattoo artists in Memphis, Tennessee.

After Amaru took his client's payment, he locked up the shop and went to the back to count the earnings of the day. After he was done, he went straight to his mother's house to get his son.

"Hey, mama." Amaru said, walking into the kitchen. "Where's Kill?"

"What I tell you about calling that boy that?" Big Mama fussed as she lit her cigarette. "He's upstairs sleeping as he should be at eleven at night. I got a plate for ya in the fridge. Gon heat that up and eat because I know you ain't eat all day."

"What I tell you about smoking?" Amaru asked as he went to retrieve his food.

"Boy, I'm grown and I'm older than you. What I tell you 'bout not eating all day. Yo ass gon pass out from starvation. Keep playing." Big Mama retorted. She let out her loud smokers cough before clearing her throat. "Arman stopped by here today with some stank ass lil girl. He said he met her at his graduation."