Chapter 18

Later on that night, when Thanya was shopping for food at the grocery store, she ran into the last person she wanted to see

Later on that night, when Thanya was shopping for food at the grocery store, she ran into the last person she wanted to see. He didn't seem to notice her yet, which was a relief. She was a bit embarrassed after what she did yesterday. She knew it was childish, and she was a grown woman. They were both in the dairy section of the store and she quickly grabbed the eggs she was shopping for and put them in her cart. Turning around quickly and as quietly as she could, she headed towards the opposite way. She knew it was a hopeless effort, but it was worth a try.

"Running away, are we?" Hansen asked from behind.

She froze. Refusing to look embarrassed, she composed herself and acted oblivious. She turned around and raised an eyebrow, appearing unimpressed and making sure he knew how unhappy she was to see him again. She just wanted to get her food and go home.

"You," she said in an unhappy tone.

Hansen was leaning forward on his cart and looked at her with a grin. He was definitely happy to see her. He wasn't all that bothered with her little stunt she pulled yesterday. Instead, he found it very amusing.

"Mmhmm," Hansen hummed, in a tone that said he obviously didn't believe her.

He slowly walked closer to her like a predator to his prey. Her heart beat faster the closer he got. He took a look at her cart, and saw it filled with lots of food.

"Are you feeding a village?" he asked, with a smirk, gesturing at her cart.

She scoffed and replied in a dry tone "Ha-Ha. That was so funny. No, I'm making food, for a family dinner I have to go to tomorrow after work."

She crossed her arms and took a look at his cart. It was filled with more food than she had. She rolled her eyes and gestured at his cart.

"Are you feeding a country?" she asked in a sassy tone.

"No. A bunch of other people and I are going to make some lunch plates to feed the homeless this weekend," replied Hansen.

She was shocked; she didn't expect that from him. Then again, she hardly knew the man. She didn't intend to get to know him. She wanted to stay far away from men, period. They were nothing but dirty, lying dogs.

"Oh," she replied, shocked.

"You should come. The more hands, the better. Think about it," he said, while walking back to his cart and disappearing out of the aisle.

Thanya debated if she should go or not. She loved helping others, it was just Hansen she didn't want to be doing the helping with. Grabbing a milk jug out of the fridge, she sighed and put it in her cart.

Crack!

She groaned at what she knew that sound was from. She sighed and looked down at her cart and saw a cracked set of eggs. She felt stupid for not paying attention. She debated putting it back and just grabbing a new one. She looked up from her cart to see if anyone was looking and saw an old man in a store uniform looking at her.