Chapter 36

 It was the middle of the day when Thanya was watching a movie with her aunt. She turned her head when she heard the sound of someone knocking on the door. She guessed it must be Hansen or Monica. Monica would drop by and update her on how her students were doing. Thanya took leave from work to recuperate, until she was fully healed. Hansen would drop by to spend time with Thanya, and continually try to convince her to marry him.

She enjoyed the tricks he would play and the gifts he would leave, and every time she was close to saying "yes" all over again. What kept her from changing her answer was Dan. She never forgot what happened that day, and she doubted she ever would. She knew that Dan Hayworth would never accept her and that would be hard. She knew that once she married Hansen, she'd be marrying his family too.

"I got it," said Sandy as she walked towards the door.

When she came back, Monica was right behind her. Monica walked to her friend and kissed her on the cheek hello. In her hands was a bag, containing all the handmade cards Thanya's students had made for her. Every single one had glitter or paint on it. It was adorable to see the creative drawings her students would make. It was both touching and heartwarming.

"What are you doing today?" asked Monica.

Thanya sighed and said, "Not much."

"Let's go out tonight," said Monica in a chipper tone.

She then turned to Sandy and said, "You should come as well. It will be fun."

"I don't feel like going out right now, or any time soon," said Thanya as she looked down at where her legs used to be.

Monica walked over to her and bent down beside her friend. She grabbed her hand and gently squeezed it. Thanya looked at the woman who had been a best friend and sister to her. She was so grateful to have this woman in her life. She helped out a lot since Thanya and Hansen came back from Alabama.

"Honey, we are going out to celebrate the fact that you're still alive," Monica said.

Thanya smiled and nodded to agree with her friend. She knew that was a good reason, and how lucky she was to still be alive. After she woke up in the hospital, Hansen filled her in on what happened. There weren't many survivors from the crash, and it hurt Thanya to hear that. She felt very blessed to be alive. "Okay. Can you help me get changed?" Thanya said.

Monica nodded and said, "Of course! Do the same for me when I'm old and wearing adult diapers in my eighties."

Thanya laughed as Monica wheeled her to the room to get ready. Thanya didn't really feel like dressing up, since this would be the first time in a long time since she had gone out of the house to do something special. Monica helped her get dressed in a simple maxi dress that was easy for Thanya to wear. She put Thanya's hair up in a messy bun, which still looked good on her. Thanya applied mascara and nude lipstick to keep it simple.