Chapter 9

Hansen and Frank stood in line waiting to get in to the fundraiser

Hansen and Frank stood in line waiting to get in to the fundraiser. As he got closer to the entrance he saw a banner that said, "Malama Na Keiki O' Waianae Elementary School Fundraiser." He looked at the people behind him and in front of him and didn't see any children.

This must just be an all adult only fundraiser then, he thought to himself.

As they got nearer to the entrance, a black woman wearing a simple black T-shirt saying 'Malama Na Keiki O' Waianae Elementary School' and black skinny jeans stood at the front with a smile while accepting entrance fees, telling each customer thank you and to have a great time as they passed through. A tall and big Polynesian security guard stood behind her, making sure everything ran nice and smoothly.

Hansen and Frank paid the entrance fee and walked in. When they finally got in he pulled out his phone and called Tiffany to let her know that they were at the entrance. Throughout the event, everyone had fun. Maddy and Frank were really hitting it off. Unfortunately for Hansen, Tiffany was too much of a "hands-on" person.

Even though this was a fundraiser for an elementary school, there were no kids to be seen, which Hansen thought was ironic. They were selling alcoholic drinks as well, which Tiffany had a bit too much of. It was like the more she consumed, the touchier she became. Hansen wasn't turned on at all, especially since he was still hurt about the affair.

"Aloha and welcome, ladies and gentlemen! Mahalo nui for coming out to our fundraiser tonight!" shouted a man with an aloha shirt on. He smiled at the crowd and held the microphone as he stood on the stage that was in the center of the event. Lights were beaming down on the man, putting him in the spotlight. Maroon colored curtains behind him, hid what was on the other side.

("Aloha" means "Hello") and ("Mahalo nui" means "Thank you very much")

Hansen, Frank, and the two flight attendants turned toward the stage, curious to see what was going on. They walked closer to the stage. Little by little a crowd started to form. Hansen looked around, and noticed that there were all types of ethnicities at the event.  

Waikiki was a very popular place where most tourists stayed. Some stayed at Ko'Olina as well, but Waikiki was the most popular spot. At nighttime, you could hear all types of languages spoken from around the world.

"Do you think they're doing a contest? I wouldn't mind being a volunteer. Maybe we'll have to do the hula or something. Then they might judge who's the best dancer," said Frank with a grin.

Maddy giggled, finding his humor amusing. A big sign on both sides of the stage said, "Malama Na Keiki O' Waianae Elementary School Fundraiser," with hibiscus flowers decorated on the corners of the sign. Hansen looked around, and saw a couple of other ladies, looking at him. They giggled as they looked away, embarrassed by the fact that they got caught checking him out. Seeing them, Tiffany grabbed Hansen's arm and moved closer to him, as if she was his girlfriend.

"You okay?" said Hansen as he looked towards Tiffany.

"Yeah. I just thought I saw a cockroach on the ground," she said as she looked down, pretending that she saw a cockroach.

Frank and Maddy looked at each other and smirked, knowing it was a lie.

"My name is Kekoa, and this fundraiser is for the keikis at Malama Na Keiki O'Waianae Elementary School. We are raising money for the new playground that we want to build for them to replace the old playground that has been there since da hana baddah days," he said, earning a laugh from the m ostly from the locals in the crowd.

(Keiki means Kids/Children) (Hana Baddah is Hawai'ian slang for boogers/ "When we were kids" boogers)

"Okay, ladies and gentlemen, we are going to have an auction. All you lovely people can bid to win a date with the amazing lifeguards that volunteered to participate in this charity. We're going to bring them out one by one and I've got one word...enjoy," said Kekoa, winking at the end.

As the auction started, Hansen, Tiffany, Maddy and Frank just watched, not participating in it. They mixed it up, one by one. They brought out the women first, and then they were going to bring the men at the end. As Hansen watched on, he couldn't help but overhear a conversation two staff members were having. They looked to be in distress. One had long, brown hair and the other had short hair with light brown tips at the end.

 "What are we going to do, Jessica!?" said the one with the long brown hair.

"Why are you freaking out Emily? What happened?" asked Jessica.

"We're short a lifeguard. He can't make it because he got into a motorcycle accident this morning," said Emily while she bit her fingernail in panic.

Maddy, overhearing their conversation as well, looked at Frank and said, "Maybe you should volunteer yourself."

"Me?" Frank asked, pointing to himself. "I'm about as attractive as white paint on a wall."

Frank then looked at Hansen and tapped his arm. "Hey, you should go to them and volunteer yourself."

Hansen rolled his eyes and replied, "No thanks." while shaking his head. Then turned towards the stage.

Frank looked at Maddy and said in a loud voice, just enough for Hansen to hear, "You know, Maddy. It's sad that those kids don't have a good playground. Imagine if they were short on money, when all they needed was one more person."

Maddy, quickly catching on, replied, "Yeah. I mean, if they had at least one more person to fill in for that lifeguard that couldn't make it, then they would be able to reach their goal that they wanted to make."

Maddy and Hansen sighed in an overdramatic, sad tone, "Poor kids." Hansen, feeling guilty, finally gave in.