It's About to Go Down

Start from the beginning

Why does the water feel like this? I asked in return. He cast his gaze away from me and down to where I'd been looking.

Battles have begun.

Actual battles? I questioned, furrowing my brow. He looked back up at me and nodded. What is this war about anyway?

Prophecies, territories... things that the merfolk always fight about. You just happen to be involved in this one. He explained.

How often are there underwater wars?

Not very often, actually. The mermaids attacked first because they think they'll have you to use to their advantage. He continued.

I told her no. I picked at the seaweed growing in the sand, finding it soft to the touch. I'm still confused as to how I'm supposed to give them such a great advantage.

Children of the tides have special abilities that normal merfolk don't have. Some in the past have been able to communicate with sea creatures, control the water around them, or even create storms.

To my knowledge, I can't do anything. Something moved to my right and Taron and I both snapped to attention, trying to find the owner of the movement. There was a moment when nothing dared to stir in the water and I relaxed. That is, until something moved again and Taron let out a very inhuman sounding hissing noise. I flinched at it as he swam in the direction of the movement.

Get out of the water.

I didn't waste time moving for the dock and pulling myself up, quickly willing my tail to disappear and putting my clothes back on. I'd just finished sliding my shirt back over my head with two tails thrashed out of the water and disappeared just as quickly. I stumbled back from the edge and listened as the screen door to the shop creaked open.

"Rina?" Ryan question.

"I'm fine!" I called up to him, "everything's—" Two heads broke the surface this time and I saw Taron like I'd never seen him before. He had sharp teeth and claws bared as a figure with long dark hair, which was hissing right back at them. "Taron!" He turned at the sound of my voice and the other creature raked dagger-like claws down the back of his shoulder. They disappeared back under the surface and I jumped at the feeling of a hand on my shoulder.

"What's happening?" he asked me. I moved to the edge of the dock again and Ryan stopped me. "Rina, don't go back in there."

"Taron's hurt."

"And what if you get hurt?" he asked. I opened my mouth to reply when Taron resurfaced, gripping onto the edge of the dock. Blood streamed from his wound, which was very large and similar to the scratch that my father had come home with. This one looked deeper than my father's and I knelt down, gripping his arm.

"Ryan, help me pull him up," I ordered, using all of the strength in my to tug him upwards. Ryan didn't hesitate to help and soon we had him and his tail on the dock. I looked around quickly, praying that no one noticed us out here in broad daylight. His tail shimmered away into nothingness and I removed my shirt as Ryan pulled him to his feet. I tied it around his waist and motioned for the house. "Get him inside." My best friend nodded and began to lead Taron up towards the shop. I gritted my teeth as I watched him hiss in pain and I turned to face the water.

"Mother," I spoke loud and clearly. "I don't appreciate your sending scouts to hurt my friend. I want to meet up, on land, tonight after dark. Come to Polly's shop." I stared at the water, half expecting her to surface and reply.

I tore myself away and ran back up to the shop, walking in right as Ryan was sitting Taron down in one of the dining room chairs.

"He's losing blood quickly, Nerina," he spoke, rushing over to the sink and wetting down a washrag. I moved to the front of Taron and cupped his face with one hand, noticing that he was barely conscious.